College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Yup - looks like there was a team of scouts and a share drive where UM coaches could access the data.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/25/michigan-computers-sign-stealing-evidence/

I get the not caring - as an Astros fan I do find it funny though that many of the same people that were up in arms about the Astros being terrible cheaters, are now happy to hand wave this away. People definitely have selective outrage based on which team is doing the cheating.

The Astros cheating has a direct impact on the game

What Michigan did. Everyone is doing

So ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Is there any evidence to back up this suddenly, oft repeated claim?

I would be surprised if more than a handful of programs are cheating at this level.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1717677187296350417

lmao at EVERYONE calling TCU to change your signals vs michigan

and the stallions guy hadn’t bought any tickets there

1 Like

if it really is true that michigan scouted conference opponents and potential playoff opponents but not TCU that would explain the nonsensical results between UM/Oh St, Oh St/UGA, TCU/UM and TCU/UGA. like UM has 8 straight losses to Oh St and then right after the alleged cheating started happening 2 years back they beat Oh St b2b including manhandling a CJ Stroud lead team in Colombus who went on to outplay UGA for 58 minutes in the playoffs while UM gave up 50+ to possibly the worst team to ever make the playoffs and who went on to lose 62-7 in the finals. I know college results don’t always make sense and i fully expect UM fans to write it off as college kids being unreliable but damn that sure does not make them look good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/17gbhva/did_michigan_lose_to_tcu_because_they_didnt/

As you’re all aware by now, Michigan seems to have tried to steal the signs of not only every Big 10 opponent, but every team they viewed as a national championship contender.

They’ve now been caught sending the Stallion :horse: to steal signs from Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Tennessee, Oregon etc.

One team missing from all this? The TCU Horned Frogs dream team.

It appears that Michigan either didn’t respect the Frogs or didn’t think they’d actually make it to the playoffs, let alone be there playing Michigan.

To me, it’s pretty goddamn funny thinking they went to so much effort to steal signs from what they viewed as “every possible playoff opponent” except for (seemingly) TCU.

They sent the CFB Unabomber to nearly every fucking top 10 school in the nation and then got blasted by the TCU Horned Frogs in the playoffs. Chefs kiss

2 Likes

well tcu changed their signs as if michigan knew them and they probably did

One TCU coach: “You can see the sheet (Stalions) is holding with our signs on them.”

So sounds like they did have TCU but acquired the tickets in some other way. That makes a lot more sense than not being worried about TCU since they were apparently scouting bottom feeder opponents. TCU being the only team (that we know about) not just changing signs but intentionally throwing out dummy signals for old plays is quite a plot twist.

1 Like

todd graham was known for stealing signs so mike leach would signal them to him during the game

Think the 2 pick 6s and bs TD overturn with subsequent fumble explains stuff too lol

ETA: forgot that Ransom had the worst game I’ve ever seen for a safety and had at least two, probably three, busts for TDs

Seems pretty clear Harbaugh knew he was close to being fired after 2020 and hatched this cheating scheme.

That being said I have a hard time caring too much. Ive had the thought watching games how easy doing this would be so the people saying “everyone does it” likely aren’t right but i bet lots of teams do.

uhhh ok bro.

It’s amazing to watch every casual suddenly have takes on Michigan. Harbaugh was in deep shit after 2020, but they sucked because they had 6 draft picks sit the entire year and their DC Don Brown had huge issues. Also struggled with new QBs and staying healthy later in the year

Add in a new DC hire from the Ravens, all of your players playing, and OSU folding in a little snow and you get 2021

Oh yeah SEC bags of moneys to players was nothing. OSU QB rolling around in Ferraris.

Who cares just win

For sure. It would be funny to contrast reactions to this vs reactions to SpyGate, which seems like a much, much smaller version of what Michigan is accused of. I’m sure we can find people screaming about the Pats cheating while hand waving Michigan cheating.

From what I gather sign stealing is SOP. Sounds like the real cheating is TCU intentionally sending false signs and shafting Michigan out of a championship.

4 Likes

Rah rah TCU.

Imagine LOSING A CFP game because you were trying to cheat.

1 Like

So you agree with me?

If Michigan hadn’t played bad and turned it over a bunch and given up 50 points that game they would have won! Haven’t you been listening to Ikes?

1 Like

100%. Hand wringing about this is super overblown in a sport that cheating has been an integral part of for forever.

Right - but baseball is a super-clean sport with no history of cheating (just ignore all the steroids/amphetamines, foreign substance use by pitchers, the shenanigans with international players, etc.), so it’s fair to hate the Astros forever (but make sure to give the Yankees and Red Sox a pass, even though they were also caught sign stealing).

1 Like

I agree that Harbaugh was in trouble. The reasons for why he did so bad that year had nothing to do with signs, and the reasons why they did better had nothing to do with it either. I follow UM football at an embarrassingly close level man, including reading play by play breakdowns that specifically track how good a play call is every week, and that’s not how things went at all. Hell MSU specifically broke their shit because they went to a 5-1.

It isn’t “obvious” at all that your theory is correct, and there’s nothing really to support it other than the existence of Stalions operation.