College Football 2024: Hail to the Cheaters

Impressive: USC dropped in the rankings after each of their last five games (including the three wins!) but are still in the top 25.

1 Like

ā€œMaserati Marvā€ should never be uttered again, but Honda Mccord" is an all-time great nickname!

and thatā€™s just a footnote for them this year

https://twitter.com/MrKingBaller/status/1715920985646363053?t=eZkZCaRs8jvfkNv48BiWnw&s=19

Itā€™s nice to see Lincoln Riley working out at USC about as I thought he would. Only thing I got wrong was thinking thereā€™d be an early season embarrassing loss to someone like Oregon State last year.

Pete Carroll was an anomaly going back to the time I was born. It is nowhere near the easiest school to win at.

1 Like

Dumbass Michigan mustā€™ve scouted USC instead of TCU last year during conference championship weekend.

2 Likes

Scouting doesnā€™t matter when you throw two pick 6s and the refs steal a TD from you

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1716653647629836567

The old public Venmo transaction strikes yet again.

1 Like

There was a brief moment on Saturday with Illinois up 14-0 at halftime at home on Homecoming to Wisconsin and Iowa was being Iowa, when I actually thought Illinois might have a chance to win the B1G West this year. Then the 4th quarter happened. The good thing about being an Illini fan is that those positive moments are brief and donā€™t cloud your thinking to the reality of the situation.

2 Likes

Are staffers and interns not allowed to make bets?

https://twitter.com/TomOrr4/status/1716618941554966738

There is a long Youtube video in the comments discussing this. Basically, the guy in charge of stealing signs is on the sidelines next to the DC and OC (when OSU is on O and D respectively). Also, someone (not Stallions) is holding a piece of paper that appears to have images of hand signals, which Reddit speculators claim may be his cheat sheet showing what the OSU signals mean.

1 Like

iā€™ve researched the sign ā€œstealingā€ thing virtually not at all, but is there something nefarious in it? or is it just that Michigan paid an intern to fly around and watch more live games than everyone else, and itā€™s somehow now an issue?

Sort of (although it seems like it was more than one intern). NCAA added a rule years ago that you are not allowed to do in person scouting of other teams (supposedly for cost saving reasons). So while stealing signs is allowed, the method UM used is explicitly forbidden (and it seems most other teams did follow the rule) - in this respect itā€™s pretty much identical to Spygate.

Its a perfect college football thing in that the rules are very weird and archaic, Standard Operating Procedure is likely that everyone does something like this, and everyone gets to have selective outrage depending on who it is that gets caught.

2 Likes

interesting. i had no idea that was against the rules. i assume to try and limit the advantage of giant programs over smaller onesā€¦

basically sign stealing is sort of against the rules but people do it but thereā€™s limits on how far you can go doing that and michigan just got caught crossing the line.

1 Like

Maybe? Probably? The Um staffer didnā€™t go to any of these games and the wording is super weird. Would agree it 100% breaks the spirit of the rule, maybe, probably breaks the actual rule?

Itā€™s not even that. The analyst paid for at least tickets for other people to watch, and probably record, signals. No actual confirmed paper trail to anyone at the school yet

LOL is this argument supposed to be that the staffer himself did no attend the games but instead purchased the tickets and directed / paid ā€œnon-affiliatedā€ people to attend and perform the scouting / recording on his behalf? For hilarityā€™s sake I hope UM goes all-in on that defense.

1 Like

Itā€™s whatever the ncaa decides so uhhh good luck with that