College Basketball 2023-24 Season Thread

There were no novel thoughts at work there.

It’s one of those things about college basketball. The season is 5-6 months long and you can’t be up for every away game. Looks like they shot 40% overall and 3/18 from 3. On to the next.

Yeah, that was the last true road game of the year, should get back to posting some wins at home. Obviously if we were going to split the Arizona road trip, this is way better than the other way.

Yeah that had letdown game written all over it. Character builder for March Madness.

Oh by far. But also a big part of the game today was Justin Edwards went from being majorly disappointing most the season, to looking like the best player in college basketball today. If he just averages his production today from the rest of the season it will be huge for UK.

Yeah the problem with the five star one-and-done method is the high probability that their games don’t translate or don’t develop during one season of college basketball. Edwards showing that he actually has the wizard mode is huge since Bradshaw is last on the bigs depth chart and Wagner is awful. Both are NBA players and maybe good ones but they are still AAU mixtapes right now. Starting Wagner is criminal at this point–he really shouldn’t be playing outside of emergency situations and blowouts.

So, I kinda dropped the ball on updating this situation and it may be interesting with respect to UP.

Terrence Shannon Jr. was in Lawrence, KS in September to support the football team in September. He gets charged with rape in early December related to that trip and the university has an athlete conduct policy that goes into effect as soon as the university had credible evidence of a crime being committed, and the charge was that. So he’s suspended from all team things but I guess still has access to facilities so he can lift, shoot, athletic trainers, etc.

He is suspended for a few games until his initial court appearance and the team responds great to be honest. The next court appearance comes and, because it is the American justice system, it is simply a ceremony to schedule the next court appearance which would be AFTER the season concludes, meaning he would be out the entire season. After about a week he hired an attorney seeking an injunction on the university for suspending him due to their policy. Eventually U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Lawless rules in favor of TSJ and issues a preliminary injunction because, “Plaintiff’s participation in sports is vital to the development of his career as well as his current and future economic opportunities considering plaintiff’s intention to declare for the 2024 NBA Draft,” Lawless wrote in the order issued Friday. “Prior to his suspension, plaintiff was projected to be a lottery pick in the NBA. His participation in future games impact his prospects in the draft and his earning potential.” So, because he could be lottery pick and make a lot of money, he gets to play.

By accounts from actual team insiders, the charges are likely dropped entirely because they say the evidence is either very flimsy, non-existent and the prosecutor may have an axe to grind with an upcoming election which is motiving them to prosecute a case that may or may not have legs. This is all second-hand info from obviously biased sources though.

What do y’all think? Seems like an interesting precedent, “I could make money, so fuck you,” which is my reductionist take of the situation.

https://twitter.com/StJohnsBBall/status/1761844941238448544

And there are people out there acting like women can’t fly planes. Last time the Pilot men made the tournament Kerry Kittles whooped their ass.

1 Like

It’s the middle of Championship Week and the top headline on ESPN’s college hoops page is about a potential Kentucky-UNC Sweet Sixteen that the most recent Bracketology projects.

The expanded CFB playoff is going to mean this shit nonstop all season.

1 Like

Goddamn, tonight was the biggest fuck you to bubble teams I may have ever seen.

3 Likes

Going out with a victory over Colorado is perfect. No team has been more of a pain in the ass to play.

RIP Indiana St’s Cream Abdul Jabbar

:frowning:

In for some BRACKETS

Virginia? I’m shocked.

fuck me I guess

They didn’t think they were getting in, either:

https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/1769527253610668397

Clearly I wish they were better this year, but it’s fun to see them going nuts like that.

According to the official seeding list, the last four in were ordered: Boise State (38th), Colorado (39), Virginia (41), Colorado State (44).

What’s with teams declining NIT invites?

Maybe I’m in the minority, but if Oregon did that I’d feel betrayed as a fan.

Tom Crean bringing it on this exact topic

https://twitter.com/Matt_Fortuna/status/1769543874802823356