Climate Change and the Environment

cloud servers in EU west have been reaaaaaally unreliable last week. something I didn’t really expect to be a result of climate change. if this kinda thing is commonplace expect cloud costs to go up

Move all cloud servers to Canada or Norway

Kiss the real-life clouds goodbye too.

https://twitter.com/QuantaMagazine/status/1549511904242319360?s=20&t=AH2QTktt5znY3_j0J2BDcQ

1 Like

One of the problems with climate change is that it’s an example of the “boiling frog” apologue. You don’t really notice the change but all of a sudden realize that lakes are empty, you haven’t seen a blue sky for ever and you got a power curfew at 4:30.

2 Likes

This is already happening in the west. Its part of the reaaon the snow packs are so minimal lately

1 Like

you know, if we’re headed towards the really bad outcomes on faster timelines than expected, and are nearly certainly headed to 3C before end of century (what I believe) it’d be extremely smart to buy land in really northern latitudes like alaska that are basically unininhabited right now.

i wont have kids or be around to profit off something like that so idgaf but if southern latitudes become truly uninhabiitable that’s where people are going to flee. it’s an absolutely massive state that could fit most of the country too.

good scifi novel scenario - no one steal it.

Lets hope it never leads to proper serious wars as more and more countries have to deal with dwindling resources and climate migration. Because otherwise I think a lot of us may die.

I mean in this serious of a scenario how much will your land deed count for?

1 Like

This clickbaity cnn article mentions a couple facts that I didn’t know. The most terrifying being that the complete loss of Greenland Ice would be a 7.5m rise in the sea level. Also that as of 2020 we are already past the point of no return. 7.5m seems like a hard number to grasp considering it isn’t the only potential source of ice melt.

1 Like

yea we’ve been past the point of no return for a while now, it was obvious way before 2020 and there was zero political will to do anything about it thanks to fucktard trump and the GOP and people just being clueless dumbasses in general.

“don’t look up” is insanely poignant.

the biggest clue for me was when all the richest people in the world suddenly showed a keen interest in getting off the planet. makes you wonder what they know that we don’t.

1 Like

my come to jesus moment was in 2015 I took an oceaonography course. didnt know much about the subject but we did several weeks on ocean composition and it dove into climate change because of the ocean’s acidity rising due to CO2 absorption. it was unbelievably bleak.

the professor asked for feedback after the course and asked if we learned anything new and how it changed our outlook. I said yea, i learned tons, but I’m left with a feeling that the situation is truly hopeless and we’re beyond fucked. she replied “i’m sorry for this… and yea, basically.”

gulp.

3 Likes

My theory on why A list actors are comfortable taking all these shit roles is everyone’s saving for that ticket to Mars.

LIke, why the fuck is Sam Jackson doing direct to dvd.

Hoping that they land somewhere that has already evolved past the same mistakes and everyone lives inside the planet. Then the elites get enslaved by the aliens.

1 Like

yea the biggest WTF for me was after Don’t Look Up came out, people genuinely being like “I think this is actually about climate change”

the fact that’s not a damn near certainty for someone is so disturbing. it oozes out of every line of that film. plus leo dicaprio is in it. lol.

2 Likes

Whether that’s really the intention or not, it’s insanely dumb anyway. Even if Earth turns into fucking Waterworld in 20 years, it’ll still be infinitely more friendly to human life than a planet with 1% the atmosphere of ours (and no magnetic field to hold it in), 3/8 the gravity, and average temps of like -80F. And if we had the tech to terraform Mars we’d be using it to re-terraform our own damn planet, lol.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s a half serious post.

You could apply the same theory to staying on the earth and insulating yourself.

Yeah I get it, I just get sick of people hearing about these eventual missions to Mars and actually unironically talking about it like it’s the key for the perpetual survival of humankind, when it’s just a suicide mission for a few hundred people who will die miserably while setting up some infrastructure to make Mars 1% more habitable for the next suicide mission.

Now if someone invents a damn hyperdrive, and we can have our pick of those various Goldilocks planets that we’ve found out there, then maybe we’re in business. But physics is a bitch.

2 Likes

strongly agree, and plus, why the fuck mars? it has water sure, but the moon is literally right the fuck there and it’d be much easier to supply water to it than on mars.

I think it’s also why we’re getting Trump and BJ as serious leaders. Much easier to accumulate more wealth if your puppets are morons and the only downside of that is the world goes to shit a year or 2 earlier.

LA Times has run this story before (and I’ve responded to it on the forums and I’ve written to the LA Times about it) but without the apology, so things are getting better.

One big thing is that a lot of panels used to be thin film which has some heavy metals and other hard to dispose of stuff. Now, the vast majority of panels, including on utility installations, are crystalline (90%+ of the market). Crystalline panels are not 100.000% harmless, but just like 99%. The crystal in a crystalline solar panel is very pure silicon, which is one of the most common elements in plain dirt/sand. Almost all of the rest of the panels are aluminum and glass.

And, the panels last more than 25 years. I’ve taken a fair number of panels off of people’s houses because people just wanted newer panels which produced more power, but 100% of them worked and I don’t think any of them ended up in landfills.* The market for old panels isn’t wonderful, but they get sold. And, unlike thin-film, they are pretty recyclable.

And what rugby said. This is not something that would be a huge part of the waste stream even if they had to be thrown away once every 25 years.

*the panels I’ve seen go into landfill have almost all been thin film because they suck - or shippers and warehouses are often kind of reckless and you will sometimes see a big pile of panels that broke in shipping out back at a distributor. Those could end up getting recycled, but I doubt it. There probably needs to be some laws requiring recycling or just making it more expensive to throw things away.

*crytalline technology is older than the thin film panels, but thin film got popular during a window where refined silicon was expensive enough that thin film panels were cheaper, but crystalline panel prices came down enough that the thin film market is much smaller.

9 Likes

Yesterday I watched an Arte documentary about the drought in Europe and it was said that we are already above 1.3°C average compared to 1900. When I see what a disaster the vegetable/fruit cultivation in Spain is with the already scarce water resource I shouldnt buy any stuff from there anymore. Interestingly I read an article how to deal with the increasing prices and the author said you dont need to buy organic fruit/vegetables because it often only means that they use organic pesticides which arent necessarely better than the other stuff. Didnt know that before. At the moment I favour the regional stuff when I have the option to buy for example bell peppers from my home state or organic bell peppers from Spain.

Another reason for the droughts were the farming methods of the Eastern bloc which preferred large fields which can be harvested with big machines. The problem is the missing hedges, trees and monocultures pretty much killed the organisms in the soil. In Romania they drained a whole sea for farming and now its a desert which barely grows anything anymore. Other problems are the firs and pine monocultures that were planted after the war for cheap wood. Now these woods are dying.

Germanys big problem is that they give away the EU money for acriculture based on each hectar land you own and not on what you grow. That has to change. Over 50% is used food for animals. I happy for any organic farmer who now reaps the fruits of their labour since their lands are more resilent to less rain and so on.

2 Likes