Climate Change and the Environment

Is the Vegas groundwater salty?

Looks like it is

Water at the water table was probably quite saline prior to urban growth in the valley and this condition may be (or may have been) aggravated by the addition of large volumes of secondary recharge. Secondary recharge may be contributing contaminants such as nitrate to the already saline ground water.

Also, looks like it is directly connected to surface water recharge so Bellagio water is effectively the same as surface water. I should have looked this up earlier today but was stuck in meetings all day!

I’m going to taste the Bellagio fountain water next time I’m there.

I wonder if they treat it.

Let’s have @suzzer99 drink a few litres and see what happens.

1 Like

I heard they wash the chips in it.

Good luck suzzer!

3 Likes

suzzers are not fungible!

This is the 4th most populous county in the US, containing the 5th most populous city, and it’s going to be effectively uninhabitable in a few decades.

Link to report

You can probably drop a grain of salt on the steep 2020 and 2021 death increase. There may have been other contributing factors.

Wait Maricopa/Phoenix is top five in population? I would have been pretty confident it was no higher than 8th (NYC, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, LA, SF in no particular order just snaking around geographically).

Not that it matters to the point. I’m stunned how many people are moving from SoCal to Arizona. Like, do they have thermometers? Are they clueless to temperature increases and water shortages?

I think it’s 5th if you just count the people in the city limits. If you’re counting the entire metro, then it’s a bit lower (~10th) but still yuuge.

1 Like

Yeah, this is city/county limits, not MSA. That skews rankings in a lot of ways, like every NYC borough is also its own county and only one of them makes the top ten, but combined they’re the largest city in the country, and the metro region is roughly tied with Mexico City and Sao Paulo for largest in the hemisphere.

So apparently the federal government issued a 60 day ultimatum for the colorado river users to cut between 2 to 4 million of acres in water usage otherwise it will use its emergency powers to make the cuts. Wonder how that will play out.

2 Likes
  1. Doug Ducey decides Arizona won’t make the cuts.

2. NYT Headline: DUCEY: JOE BIDEN IS STEALING OUR WATER TO KILL US

3. Arizona goes red.

4. The whole region runs out of water anyway.

Disclaimer: I didn’t watch the video.

2 Likes

That is an insane reduction they are asking for. For Canadians that’s like 7.5 trillion m3!

The whole state of California is only allowed 4.4 million acre feet!

Lol. Acre feet.

This sort of feels like they have three options:

1. Cut it themselves

2. Feds cut it

3. Climate change cuts it for them, probably all the way to zero

It’s a super weird measure. It’s one acre of water one foot deep.

Agreed but I have no idea how they will get even close. Gonna watch that video tonight.