Climate Change and the Environment

Jesus Christ man. I literally posted a secular example moments after making that claim. I thought further and modified my position. That is how it is suppose to work. It’s not a chance to score internet points. It’s a chance to advance a respectful discussion of a complex issue.

I have no idea why you want to fight so bad.

It’s so galactically unfair to suggest I was belittling your, or anyones, normal protest work.

https://twitter.com/stephensemler/status/1518972397277396992?s=21&t=wLRcqeoLTU9QkwENivNakQ

4 Likes

There is an algorithm of angst that exists in this forum. Probably all forums.

1 Like

Umm twitter is more important than global survival ldo

Seems to me the only slim hope we have rests with the indie scientists trying to do fusion fast and cheap.

1 Like

Yup. The only way we are getting out of this is if we hit a one outer like we did with COVID vaccines. We need really smart people to save us from ourselves.

Cold fusion. But don’t hold your breath.

Unless science finds a cheap way to remove carbon from the atmosphere, we’re going to let climate change rip. Don’t worry, though, Emily Oster will have some very provocative articles about why droughts, 140 degree temperatures, and Category 7 hurricanes are good for you and your kids.

At this point the only sane response is to be planning to/aspiring to own a home in a relatively safe area with regard to climate catastrophe, and to be fortifying it to withstand climate threats while preserving some creature comforts in those scenarios. So at the very least that’s having enough solar power to disconnect from the power grid and power your own home, being on high enough land/far enough from flood zones, having a space to go in your home to ride out a tornado or hurricane, etc.

I don’t know when that will stop looking prepper-ish and start looking smart, but I’m pretty sure it won’t take until 2050.

I don’t understand the Oster jab here?

She wrote bullshit to support the wealthy’s desire to keep things open to keep the machine humming for their profits, while ignoring public health, and was given credibility by the corporate-owned media.

Others will be doing the same when climate catastrophes are just fucking pummeling humanity.

I believe that this pandemic has been a great window into how humanity will handle climate change.

We will not take the necessary collective action, we will rely on a scientific miracle to maybe avoid the worst of it, the wealthy will prioritize making even more money over all else, and there will be tons of bullshit flying about how it’s all not actually that bad.

1 Like

Wrong place to discuss but I really don’t believe that is what she did on schools and covid. It’s an open question requiring more research to determine if closing schools was the best approach.

The rest of your post I agree with.

You tend to be more trusting of other people’s motives than me overall I think, but yeah this has been litigated a gazillion times on here, I doubt we’re going to solve it if we go for a gazillion+1.

Yeah we’re pretty fucked. I think it’s going to happen quite a bit faster than people realize, too. I’m not sure if the scientific models are failing to capture some of the acceleration due to climate change itself or what, but it sure seems like the extreme weather events are pretty rapidly escalating.

My region went from maybe one tornado outbreak every 15-20 years to 3-5 tornado outbreaks a year. That change felt like it happened overnight, it was only noticeable over maybe a 3 year period. I’m also anecdotally noticing a lot of people having trouble with wet basements after rain, and we seem to get 1-2 flood events per year in the region ranging from “Oh that creek overflowed and a few roads are underwater” to “Holy shit, is that a canal through central Philadelphia?”

2 Likes

There’s going to be a shit ton of people who suddenly remember they’re on a floodplain they were assured would never be a problem.

1 Like

Yeah before I buy a house I’m looking at flood maps and assuming a 500-year flood zone is more like a 5 year flood zone. Like if the maps say this area could ever flood for any reason at any point in a 1,000 year period, I expect it to flood in my lifetime.

1 Like

The development world is already planning for this. Over the past couple years projects require flood mapping at much higher predictive accuracy than before. 1:1000 mapping is not uncommon.

I’m about as doom and gloom as you can get on climate change, but wet basements have been a thing for as long as there have been basements. You’re just getting older and more likely to have the sorts of conversations where people talk about their basements.

yes i am glad i’m able to say that i consciously looked at elevation maps and local hills when we were buying our house. not that close to any rivers or creeks but sea levels and subduction zones were on my mind.

i also read too much on flood mitigation strategies. some of which may or may not apply to specific places. things like maintaining good retaining walls, waterproofing basements. streets that can be flood proofed. some company in new orleans is constructing houses that float during floods. damn, wish i had invented that.

one thing that keeps bothering me is seasonal droughts and possible watering restrictions, so i’m in the process of doing rainwater collection for garden and emergency situations. battery/solar backups are also being planned. i imagine in case or tornadoes and hurricanes, having supplies to lockdown or evacuate are important and can solve at least some of the anxiety people feel.

Here development is required to make a plan if water is restricted due to drought. These literally include things like having residents store water in their bathtubs!

Most place allocate water on a seniority basis like first come first serve. So when restrictions are applied the newest approvals are restricted first and then oldest are restricted last. This means it would be better to be in an older community than a new one.

Where I live you can’t get new water licenses so an open market has been created and existing ones are traded on the free market.

Access to water is now the number one limiting factor for new development. And I live in a county with most of the worlds freshwater per capita!

Water will be the number one cause of international disputes in the coming years.

Which GOP president will be the one to pull the trigger on an invasion of Canada over water?

1 Like

You joke but this is a real possibility. :scream: