Climate Change and the Environment

Yes, this is a great point. On the other hand though, Western countries could be doing the “pull up the drawbridge” thing that rich people/nations tend to do in a crisis. Mega projects like securing Manhattan against rising sea levels probably should have started 20 years ago for example.

Rising sea levels are bad and will displace tens to hundreds of millions but unstable weather is what can make even the rest of the world very unpleasant to live in and threaten our food supply. Everytime the IPCC report comes out I am happy that I decided not to have kids. I would still like to leave a liveable planet behind but I would worry a lot more if I had them.

1 Like

Also not having kids is the single most effective thing anyone can individually do to combat climate change.

3 Likes

Unless they’re smart. I’m genuinely worried about the idiocracy scenario and we’re drawing super live to it.

3000kw of solar saves about 1500 tons of co2 per year. You could install 10000 solar panels.

By this logic, mass shootings would likely be an even more effective way to combat climate change.

As a father of two, one can hope.

If I personally install solar panels it’s not going to increase the number installed unless the limiting factor in that is how many installers are available, which I doubt.

That’s true, going to like a lawn bowls club and slaughtering everyone would be very effective. I’ll rephrase and say the single most effective legal thing anyone can do.

Have you ever heard of salesmanship?

If you can manage to sell a bunch to people that wouldn’t otherwise have got them, then sure.

Some.

Yeah. This is my ethics test for a job. If i get better at my job, do i make the world better, worse, or the same.

There are lots of jobs where being good at it and/or making environmentally motivated decisions can do a lot of good.

3 Likes

I think we are already there.

My software job is helping people not have babies and get abortions so it’s probably helping lower emissions too.

1 Like

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newletter.

Carbon dioxide levels are basically off the chart. Hopefully all the climate scientists are wrong about global warming.

So it is this time of the year where I am going shopping for an electricity provider. I only used eco power the last few years but now I got curious because the comparison portal gave me two options: eco power and sustainable eco power. I checked the internet and apparently eco power often only means that the prover only bought some certificates of eco energy and smashes them on his energy mix. For example a hydro plant in Norway produces too much energy and sells the surplus. Now a german prover buys it and offers eco energy. Unfortunately this doesnt lead to an increase in eco energy plants in Germany. It sucks and I thought I do something good.

While true, however, this is a good example of why the x axis matters so much.

I’ve never seen the projections go so far to the right.

Grey line pls. Though at that time scale I’ll be looking gone before the projections diverge.

Eta: noticed the x-axis scale on top. Eh, I’ll still probably be gone.