Climate Change and the Environment

Problem with these articles is that normal people cant grasp what it means for them and life on this planet. Something along the lines of if you havent seen it you wont believe it. So we will have to find out the hard way that these people who are probably smarter than us were actually right.

3 Likes

There’s a bunch of tweets (or Xs or whatever we call them now) referring to a claim of a room temperature/pressure superconductor. Most likely not the case, but if we’re making a list of longshot solutions to climate change, that would be on it.

“most likely not”

Haha. Indeed.

I mean I’m open to the possibility but people are already questioning aspects of the paper and it will probably be dismissed and forgotten soon. If not, these guys are going to get the Pons and Fleischmann treatment. Or… it’s a freaking miracle.

Now when you pee in the water it will create a cool spot

8 Likes

By 10pm, we’d settled our daughters into bed and were trying to relax. There was a frantic knock on the door and the porter said we needed to evacuate now. Luckily we had already got all our luggage together, with a separate bag with our passports and phones. We got the kids up and walked to the fire assembly point.

Someone from the resort came out and told us to run. Everyone started panicking and running into the village.

The driver dropped us off in the middle of nowhere to wait for coaches. We were in the pitch black and no one knew where we were. It was terrifying. That was the point the kids started panicking. Our eldest child asked me if we were going to die.

A colleague has booked her vacation in Rhodes in 2 weeks. Tough decisions to make.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 19-49-17 BNO News on Twitter

Phoenix is also the 5th largest and fastest growing city in the USA. What could go wrong?

1 Like

we finally had a storm and some rain to cool things down a bit. i have a couple windows open and had a door open earlier, but it’s 79 in here now. ain’t too bad with a fan

the storm knocked out power at the oil change place, because i finally got back by there today. slept through it all

I think staying away from the southernmost parts of Europe from mid-June through August will be necessary going forwards. I have small kids and don’t much like temps above 30 anyway, but chances of getting 35+ are just too big by now.

Northern Italy, Spain etc still seem somewhat viable during summer.

I expect Scandinavia will see a lot more peak travel from the tourists who can afford the price jump from the usual sunny resorts.

I don’t know what families restricted by school holidays will do if they can’t afford it. Maybe Eastern Europe or just staycation.

1 Like

Without a whole lot of discrimination between correct and incorrect answers

That city should not exist. It is a monument to man’s arrogance

• one of the few times Peggy Hill got it completely right

This is like the 3rd insane headline in the last week.

As someone who doesn’t follow this that closely, mostly for my own sanity, it’s hard to gauge whether the recent onslaught of terrible news is just news companies taking advantage of anxiety for clicks or whether it’s actually the case that we’re reaching a whole new level of WAAF… but it certainly seems like it’s the latter

Been in Bucharest over a week and even here we had a stretch of a week where the highs were between 35-42. It’s leveled off a bit, but the following week will still have a range of 28-38.

Yeeesh, no thanks! Even worse if you’re in a city.

Scandinavia might see an uptick, but the downside of climate change here is that we’re getting more rain…so if you’re lucky you might see the best of Scandinavian summers, which are really beautiful. Or you might drown in rain and get 10-15 degrees for 14 days.

Welcome to Juneau, AK!

1 Like

I was in Juneau a week and a half ago. Weather was basically perfect once we got on land. On the cruise ship while coming into port it was cold and rainy so I was way overdressed for my hike/ebike tour.

1 Like

I watched one video on it and it’s not clear to me that this would have a large impact on climate change - she was most excited about the implications for quantum computing.