Climate Change and the Environment

Yeah, LA is overpopulated, but Vegas and Phoenix are unfit for living period. And what do they do? Build a bunch of giant houses each with multiple air conditioners. When people see Lake Mead and the like disappear there may well be a lot of vacant properties out there.

I used to do real estate appraisal a long time ago and there was a big market decline (early through mid 80s) and there were a lot of empty houses and even neighborhoods out in the desert outside LA (Antelope or Imperial Valleys). Lots of Phoenix or LV could be like that.

LV had a ton of ghost neighborhoods after the 08 housing crash

god i’d love to live in a ghost neighborhood

2 Likes

Not a single grocery store to be found on any of those maps. Just awful.

If there were one 3 blocks away, you’re still driving when it’s 118 degrees.

Yeah I went to brunch at Marche Bacchus in Vegas during the fall WSOP. It’s on Regatta Drive in Lakeside Village on Lake Jacqueline in Desert Shores, Las Vegas.

Beautiful area, but what in the actual fuck? Huge water shortages and they’re pumping water into man made lakes in the middle of the fucking desert?

What’s the remaining lifespan on these? 5 years? 20 at the absolute most?

That said I had a buddy move to Phoenix from LA, and I mentioned I’d be worried about climate change there and wouldn’t want to own property there and he looked at me like I told him the earth was flat.

He’s not a total moron, either. Just lives in his own bubble mostly, I think, and assumes anything that sounds extreme is bullshit.

A lot of people like that are in for a rude awakening.

Phoenix is at like 180% housing inventory YoY.

Thats insanity.

16 million vacant homes in the US. 550k homeless people in the US.

2 Likes

I know giving a home to a homeless person isn’t going to solve all their problems in every case, but what if you gave each of them 29 homes?

5 Likes

Is it, though? It’s certainly not a great place to stick a huge city, but to me the biggest problem has always been that it was developed in the most unsustainable way possible. Seems like you could have a much more sensible (and imo much more desirable) city if you could start from scratch and keep everybody west of the 405. I don’t even think that would be crazy density either. You could probably keep most of it mid-rise.

Probably. And it would be fine if you didn’t have to commute. Places like Marina Del Rey have a bunch of higher/mid density condos/apartments. There are still 15 million people or something in the general area. It’s a lot.

I was recently in Mexico City and it didn’t really seem crowded and traffic didn’t seem nearly as bad as LA…at least until I went on the subway at rush hour. That was insane.

Those subdivisions. Good fucking god.

Those are an abomination even outside any present and future effects of climate change.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/garrettreuscher/status/1180579468466720770

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1561040349535113217

45°C is 113 Freedom units, 34°C is 93 F.

1 Like

Phoenix looking better now.

It’s almost as hot as Phoenix’s high for this year.

Fucking hell 93 overnight low?

Thats monstrous.

Freedom units, never heard that one before :joy:

What did you think the F stood for?

F = freedom, C = commie, this isn’t hard, people

6 Likes