ChrisV's Walrus - Reveal Thread

Well well well, the resident board assassin, a Pete lover, and someone who doesn’t actively loathe Pete rounding out the bottom three.

Muy muy interesante.

3 Likes

You criminally underrated my category 2 submission.

2 Likes

Well, I’m glad that only went up now - I was 8 points adrift after round 2, awful stuff. Now hoping I can nail mid table mediocrity for the remainder.

Mood changer here

Bottom half = badge of honour. Skydiver has pretty good music taste too. :grinning:

2 Likes

yeah, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that my musical tastes are so different from ChrisV’s that I am comfortable with my position.

I’m lying i really wanted to fucking WIN. ARGH.

3 Likes

Shit that 1 is really killing me now

I’m proud of my roller coaster.

Reveal on today, but I also have to work. I have to be up working at 5pm Eastern (7:30am local) so it might start early and run slow and late. Or maybe I’ll have to do some more listening (tomorrow morning my time) first. We’ll see.

Do not like.

CATEGORY 5: A song that gradually builds up over the course of the song.

This is a strong category, although with a lot of fairly mainstream stuff. It’s going to be tough to separate. I don’t really know where things are going yet, but I know how to get started, so that’s what we will do.

What would I have submitted?

Any number of things I could go with here but I think I already submitted this to a past walrus

Sort of a Dire Straits sound to it in places.

This will be sporadic because I’m going to be busy with work.

Not a lot to really dislike in this category so the bottom few songs are just things I was meh about.

In 15th place, scoring 1 point, NotBruceZ with Ta Douleur by Camille

Kind of a slightly quirky pop song. It was OK. I thought it was a bit of a questionable category fit, while it adds a couple elements to the beat over time it doesn’t really ramp up in intensity or anything.

hokie’s rollercoaster ride continues.

In 14th place, scoring 2 points, hokie with 'Til the End by MitiS

I just thought this was dull, to be honest. Not a lot going on, but pleasant enough.

In 13th place, scoring 3 points, Twist with Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela

Meh? Like, nice enough, but I don’t feel like it’s that profound a reinterpretation of the song. My reaction was pretty much “I’m not sure I needed this in my life”. Like when string quartets cover Metallica or something, it’s just like “sure, I see what you did there”.

Man, quiet thread today. Is this thing on?

Quick second before I need to take 10 to put my daughter down for the night. After that, I’m ready for beer and more disappointment!

When you forced us into withdrawal we switched to heroin to keep feeling the same high. Some us had to prostitute ourselves to finance the habit.

3 Likes

In 12th place, scoring 4 points, WesleyC with You And Whose Army? (Live in Berlin) by Radiohead

This is fine and all, but I don’t think it’s a great version, and when Wes has known me for 20 odd years and knows I like Radiohead it’s like… do better. You know? Also, when he submitted it I mentioned that this had been my standout track when we saw them in Belgium and he said that he’d forgotten I had been there, at a 4 day festival, which seems like ample justification to put him last in every category, tbh.

Hokie‘s got a very polarized range so far.