Chinese government response to Coronavirus

In theory, maybe. In practice, it just won’t be. No-one’s talking about sanctions and rethinking stuff while the prevailing theory is it came from a livestock market.

Good luck with that. It’s a respiratory virus and carriers are contagious for weeks before symptoms appear. We’re never pinning down who Patient Zero is. Any why would the gov’t keep it a secret? This is conspiritarding ITT.

The US released it and blamed China for that very reason. Keed is Trump.

here

uh, which is why it would be worth knowing if the virus originated in a lab accident in China?

or a lab in Fort Detrick, US

If there was a mysterious viral outbreak tearing through Maryland I agree that would be a question at least worth asking.

huh, they sound like some bad hombres, maybe we should rethink our trade relationships with them regardless

Can’t decide if I agree or not, did the trade relationships COME FROM A LAB?

Yeah, may be no need for the ‘air bridge’ then. Could start by knocking together some PPE without flying it in. TV’s next. Clothing, shoes. Medicine. ‘Made in USA’ not ‘Label affixed in USA’. MAGA.

Just to be clear, the main reason that if it escaped from a lab is important is because it makes the Chinese government response even more dishonest than it originally seemed (which was pretty dishonest to begin with). If it escaped from a lab they would have known that human to human transmission was possible very very early because they would have known that just one or a few people would have been exposed to it in the lab. That question very obviously has serious geopolitical implications.

Certainly a resurgence in American manufacturing would be very good. We used to make all that in the United States and certainly could again.

The manufacturing left town as Chinese manufacturing + shipping = cheaper than US manufacturing.

There in lies the problem.

US manufacturing would be nice but without slaves to run it Americans will still buy from abroad - cause it’s cheaper and most of US lives paycheck to paycheck - if they have a paycheck

It’s cheaper to dig coal in China and ship it to the US then it is for US to dig - apply that to anything else and the issue is obvious

1 Like

tarrifs are a thing.

Not if you need / want to export US manufacturing (China not yet ordering the grains it agreed to buy with tariffs)

China needs to export to USA#1 a hell of a lot more than we need to export to China.

PPE? Reagents for Covid tests?

China just goes with demand - they export worldwide so US is like 4% of the market per capita

You seem to think I’m talking about coming weeks and months. I’m talking about trade policy over years and decades.

I’m talking today and the future which is more relevant than a couple of decades ago.

The US’ ‘newest’ airport is 25yrs old whereas China’s is about 25 weeks. Things have changed Keeeeed