Cheeses loves me

Just substitute turd(s) and shithead(s) for every use of cheese(s) and fruit(s) and you will feel right at home.

2 Likes

7 Likes

In “cheese aisle”, “cheese” is an attributive noun or noun adjunct, a noun that is used as an adjective. These are usually singular but, as is the norm in English, there are exceptions.

1 Like

Everyone says that until you ask why they don’t talk like Beowulf. And no-one can ever explain why ‘more’ is fine for both when the amount is increasing.

1 Like

Coming from an English teacher, fuck grammar nazis and their collective superiority complex.

3 Likes

Easy trap

1 Like

It’s not rigorous at all, but it’s much more convincing to the genuinely perplexed. They won’t understand whatever proof you might deploy, but “How do you represent one third in decimals?” may result in a breakthrough, ime.

*fewer wet.

5 Likes

*Fuhrer wet

3 Likes

It’s a pretty common pattern in English, and I assume other languages too. If you have a mass noun that refers to a thing (“I ate some cheese,” “I gave my toddler some medicine”), you can convert it into a count noun that refers to varieties of the thing (“A properly constructed cheese plate has at least three cheeses,” “My grandmother takes five medicines every day!”). It’s basically just an shorthand where you say “2 Xs” rather than “2 kinds of X.”

We need some way of giving love to the thread title.

1 Like

It’s by way of “would’ve”. I don’t know if that helps.

1 Like

And yet you still wrote “would-ove”.

Who’da thought this thread woulda been longer than I thought id be?

You-ove been in Canada too long snoreo.

Congratulations. Everything here is correct and your English is better than people who say things like would of.

They also tend to be the ones who say things like “Could care less” when they mean the opposite,

1 Like

One could say it’s wrong in writing, but it’s perfectly standard spoken English.

I always say “couldn’t,” but I think it works fine the other way, so I never understand why people get salty about it. If you say “I could care less,” it’s a sarcastic statement that implies you care so little that it’s noteworthy that you could (in theory) care less.

Ban, IMO.

1 Like