Cannabis: Now Cheap and Legal Everywhere*

I’ve read that the propylene glycol can break down and turn into basically formeldahyde which is why I love the SHO carts with no additives.

2 Likes

Can someone give me cliff notes on the vape/health thing? If I take 5-6 hits a week out of a thc vape pen am I going to die?

We’re all going to die.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/09/05/contaminant-found-vaping-products-linked-deadly-lung-illnesses-state-federal-labs-show/

State and federal health officials investigating mysterious lung illnesses linked to vaping have found the same chemical in samples of marijuana products used by people sickened in different parts of the country and who used different brands of products in recent weeks.

The chemical is an oil derived from vitamin E. Investigators at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found the oil in cannabis products in samples collected from patients who fell ill across the country. FDA officials shared that information with state health officials during a telephone briefing this week, according to several officials who took part in the call.

Vitamin E acetate is basically grease, said Michelle Francl, a chemistry professor at Bryn Mawr College. Its molecular structure means that “you have to heat it up pretty hot” for it to vaporize. Its boiling point is 363 degrees Fahrenheit, which is well above the 212 degree F boiling point for water, and nearly four times higher than normal human body temperature.

Once the oil is heated hot enough to vaporize, it can potentially decompose and “now you’re breathing in who-knows-what,” Francl said.

When that vapor cools down in the lungs, it returns to its original state at that temperature and pressure, she said, which means “it has now coated the inside of your lungs with that oil,” she said.

Unlike the human digestive tract, which can break down and get rid of foreign substances, the lungs aren’t designed to handle anything except gases, experts said.

I’d switch from liquid cartridges to wax until we figure out what the hell is going on

1 Like

Yeah volcano remains safe af

Are “live resin” carts the bad ones or the good ones. I’m admittedly kind of new to the whole vape carts/concentrates thing.

1 Like

Preferably the hash is cold water extracted - SHO (Solventless Hash Oil) also compared to BHO (Butane Hash Oil).

https://dablogic.co/

And actually live resin can be SHO or BHO, it’s just not dried and cured. It is flash frozen before making the hash. It will have a lot more flavor.

Oh man, TIL live resin and live rosin are two different things with different spellings.

i know a guy who makes these thc products and i sent him that article and flatly accused him of poisoning people a la “the muffin man” from arrested development. he said he didn’t use vitamin e acetate but he wishes he did because most of his customers are black. (trump supporter)

That is a brutal story. Yet another reason legalization can’t come soon enough.

Lol what a dishonest article and data presentation. If you cant see the problems with it, i’m really disappointed.

Uh. K bro. I didn’t even read the article and only linked it to show that the latest death was a dude vaping thc oil. I never was making any argument about anything. Literally read the first paragraph that mentioned that the guy vaped thc oil and nothing further. lmao

It was “deaths after consuming vape” which is like maybe half the people who die nowadays? I mean what vaper hasnt vaped in the last 24 hours? It’s hype.

I dont have the energy to dive into why “studies say” and “linked to” articles from news sources, especially like usatoday arent completely scientific or shouldnt be read at face value. They just arent. The first paragraph should give you all the clues you need. That’s the only point I’m really trying to make.

It is real tho. They didn’t go in depth the way wapo did but it’s true healthy young people are dying from a mysterious lung illness most likely related to vaping vitamin e acetate oil

Someone said the last death was e-cigs, I posted the first article I saw clarifying that it was thc oil and not e-cigs. I have no idea what the rest of the article says and don’t care to argue about it.

1 Like

Umm, no definitely not hype. Acute lung injury leading to mechanical ventilation and sometimes death in otherwise healthy people is new and damned scary.

Also, “It’s not science!!!” Is a god awful dumb take. There hasn’t been enough cases or time for there to be the kind of research you are talking about. When the CDC was pointing out that gay men were dying to an impossible pneumonia for a healthy person to catch back in 1981, it wasn’t quite science yet then either.