Can We Kill First-Past-the-Post? - A Thread for Discussing Alternative Voting Systems

In 2002, San Francisco approved instant runoff voting (IRV) for local elections and began implementing the system in 2004. Cities such as Oakland, Minneapolis, Santa Fe, and (most recently, in 2019) New York City have followed. In 2018, Maine became the first state to use IRV, also known as ranked-choice voting, in state and federal offices. In 2019, the Libertarian Party of Kentucky took credit for the defeat of incumbent governor Matt Bevin and used the occasion to promote IRV/RCV.

If you believe Arrow’s impossibility theorem, we can’t really come up with a perfect voting system. Every system fitting certain criteria (which means, effectively, any system we might try) is going to be vulnerable to strategic voting (or gaming the system). We can sometimes choose who wins by choosing the candidate.

My proposal for a voting system is a modified version of IRV. If the Democratic presidential debates have shown us something, it is that it is annoying to deal with large fields. Having to rank fourteen candidates gets awkward. IRV works best when limited to a number of candidates that can comfortably fit on a debate stage. I think that might be four or five candidates.

So, my proposal would be a two-round system: an initial voting round to create a shortlist of viable candidates, followed by a second round using IRV to determine a winner. I am open to suggestions on how to conduct that first round. For a Congressional race, it is probably sufficient to throw everyone into a single primary the way California does it. For the presidency, you might need something more complicated.

latest xkcd for the thread

voting_referendum

3 Likes

The Irish system uses ranked choice but it also uses multi-seat constituencies. Constituencies elect either three, four, or five members to parliament (depending on population size). It tends to mean that a lot of smaller parties and independents get elected, which is probably a good thing.

This is disappointing:

A new WBUR poll ( topline, crosstabs ), conducted by the MassINC Polling Group, found that the voters surveyed were evenly split over the use of ranked-choice voting with 36% both for and against. The poll has a 4.4% margin of error.

I like ranked choice. It could actually help break up the 2 party system duopoly. At the very least it could help deal with people who act like their vote is some sacred blood oath they take with the candidate. I’ve heard too much “I believe Trump is the most evil person to ever live, possibly Satan incarnate, but Biden flubbed a sentence once, so I’m probably not voting.” I’m not what % of this ranked choice will fix, but I’d like to at least try.

So who is going to do the killing? In SF it was a proposition. Need national propositions/referendums before we’re going to do anything that both parties oppose.

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1403442397212778500?s=19

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1403443040237371397?s=19

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/1403443668346978304?s=19