Business & Management chat

This isn’t entirely irrational. At my first job out of college the employer matching didn’t vest until 3 years. Fuck off with that shit.

That said, I agree. The whole “job hop to maximize earnings” thing only works if you have legitimately in demand skills. A liberal arts degree and mediocre power point isn’t going to cut it (unless you’re a boomer already in management).

1 Like

The pension law in Ontario has required immediate vesting for over 10 years. But to know that, a millenial or Gen Zer will need to read the pension plan, the pension plan booklet, the legislation, or the company conmmunications about the the plan, or ask anyone from our HR team. Instead, they ask Reddit and get 100 responses, 50 of which say that employer pensions are ponzi schemes.

https://twitter.com/gossipbabies/status/1487161069143576576?lang=en

7 Likes

https://www.wsj.com/business/retail/wayfair-boss-weeks-after-viral-memo-cuts-13-of-staff-0e89f0ef?mod=mhp

Wayfair is laying off 13% of its employees, weeks after the company’s chief executive sent a memo asking them to work harder.

On Friday the online retailer said it would lay off around 1,650 employees. Wayfair, which primarily sells furniture and other home goods, has done several rounds of large layoffs in recent years as pandemic furniture buying has cooled.

“We went overboard in hiring during a strong economic period and veered away from our core principles, and while we have come quite far back to them, we are not quite there,” CEO Niraj Shah said in a memo to staff Friday.

2 Likes

Just got the email that I’m safe. At least one of my reports was hit. Still waiting to get all the fallout.

18 Likes

What a shitty company

shot

SAN FRANCISCO – Denim giant Levi Strauss & Co. said Thursday that it’s slashing its global corporate workforce by 10% to 15% in the first half of the year as part of a two-year restructuring plan that seeks to cut costs and simplify its operations.

The company employed about 19,100 people as of the end of November, according to its annual report filed with securities regulators.

San Francisco-based Levi’s said the restructuring is expected to generate net cost savings of $100 million in the current fiscal year. It estimates it will book charges of $110 million to $120 million in the first quarter and said there could be more restructuring charges ahead

chaser

Levi’s announced the layoffs the same day it unveiled a proposed 10-year extension to the naming rights for Levi’s Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers. The deal is worth a combined $170 million and is subject to approval by the Santa Clara Stadium Authority’s board, which is expected to be granted Tuesday. It will give Levi’s the stadium’s naming rights through the 2043 NFL season.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand. Workers don’t make companies money. Advertisements make companies money.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/realBrookNash/status/1762119099792974324?t=BlgFSWTXSWs13t-k5f_QWQ&s=19

6 Likes

6 Likes

My pony might be about to be laid off.

Lady records herself being laid off from cloudflare.

Two randoms she doesn’t know fire her with absolutely no information about her and why she was picked.

The people doing it are the absolute worst examples for corporate.

“I’m sorry you’re going through this experience right now” with all the empathy, while completing ignoring that THEY ARE THE ONES CAUSING THE EXPERIENCE.

Ugh.

Saw this a few months ago. What I never looked into was whether they were trying to do these layoffs without providing severance? Because why else (other than being awful people) would you kick off a mass-layoff call by claiming you were terminating for performance. Just use the normal corporate jargon about restructuring and reevaluating priorities, blah blah blah.

The US generally doesn’t have statutory severance anyway.

My wife and I call it “Talking to the Bobs” because of Office Space. 25 years later and its still right on. Time for layoffs? Call in the Bobs

It’s so fucking pathetic that managers can’t fire people themselves. Corporate America is the absolute worst.

1 Like

Understand that but I’ve never really heard of a large corporation doing mass layoffs and not offering severance. I’m sure it’s happened but don’t remember instances and I assume it would’ve made pretty big news.

Companies will also sometimes have published severance policies for terminations without cause.

1 Like

Yeah the severance is the incentive for things like staying on to train your replacement, non-disparagement, etc. For someone in that lady’s role who has only been in the company for a few months it’s not needed

However, another reason for offering severance is so the remaining employees aren’t incentivized to begin jumping ship.

The weather has been nice after a few weeks of rain so B2B solicitors have been out in full force lately.

Absolutely hilarious to see people who know nothing about our business and just saw some cardboard boxes when taking a stroll around the warehouse district just show up out of the blue and say basically that I need to outsource my job to another company, I’m not doing my job right, and actually they can save us more on our business costs than UPS, Uline, Amazon, Shopify, etc can.

people show up knowing nothing and are like “oh are you doing in house shipping for this business I didn’t know existed until 2 seconds ago? How’d you like to get rid of it, move it to a 3PL in Texas and I’ll handle your shipping for you”

How does everyone keep track of their business notes? I got put into a situation where I’m working on a lot of projects and I need a process to make notes for the various projects and keep the notes organized better than what I am doing now. I do a lot of hand written notes, but it’s hard to organize that. I was thinking of doing Teams meeting notes and storing them in OneNote, but I’m not sure of a good process to get them from Teams to OneNote and stored.