Business & Management chat

I use Obsidian for notes, it is a collection of mark down text documents with some good search capabilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutS7GIpC9A&pp=ygUIb2JzaWRpYW4%3D

If your job is a MS Office shop I’d just do it in OneNote directly. It’s work but it’s easy to organize, searchable, flexible, etc.

1 Like

I’m still a pen and paper person (which is not really working but I’m stubborn) but have been tempted to get an e-writer that can function as a notebook but also sync and store notes. I had some colleagues that swore by the Remarkable a few years ago. There may be other options out there these days–I haven’t checked in a while

Decades ago, when I was in undergrad, I found that if I handwrote notes in class and then went back into my room and typed them up in a word document this was by far the best trick to make me remember everything later. When I did that I never needed to study for tests or anything else.

No way I’m doing that at my job though

100% handwrite all my notes and then type them up later for sharing with the team. Cursive helps a LOT.

I did that and to this day am sad I didn’t sell them when I graduated…

got a new job, accepted the offer, turned in my resignation.

my boss has given me 1) a counteroffer that is pretty compelling. and 2) asked me to stay on in an advisory capacity if I don’t take the counteroffer (this sounds like a great compromise and might be pretty lucrative but it will be very difficult to make this work logistically).

normally my advice is to not take a counteroffer, mostly because the money or whatever probably won’t fix the problem that caused you to want to leave in the first place and if it does fix that problem then you’re going to be seen as a mercenary and probably pushed out shortly. I’m currently trying to figure out if my current situation is an exception to my own advice.

I’m leaving my old job mostly because they’re moving in a direction that is great for the company but not great for me personally (they’re going to be focusing on a market that I don’t operate in, the projects I’m on will still be part of the portfolio but will just be static recurring revenue and we won’t expect any growth there). I like the company and the people. The counteroffer would actually change significant parts of my role to work on the the projects in the new market we’re focusing on, which is what is making me consider it. Not really sure what to do, I wasn’t expecting this sort of offer and it’s the first time I’ve really been unsure of a career move that I can remember.

7 Likes

Would it be correct to say the job change is not solely about money and that the counteroffer involves things that you wouldn’t have thought to ask for?

Responsibilities and project assignments can change on a whim though. To me, the counter offer doesn’t sound like an opportunity worth going back on your acceptance with the other company. It also doesn’t change the fact that your experience is less core to the company’s mission making you less valuable there. Yes you will build new experience with the new markets on the new projects but that takes a long time. The advisory thing does sound like a great option depending on the terms and how this is perceived by new employer.

Why would they be looking to push you out in the foreseeable future if they trust you enough to throw money at you currently to keep working?

Because throwing money at him to keep working while they plan succession or a backfill rather than being caught flat-footed might be the best and most cost-effective solution for them.

I have lots of thoughts on this topic, and hate the conventional wisdom that says taking counteroffers is bad, both for your standing at the current company, and the one you accepted and then rejected. I went through this a few years ago, took the counter-offer, and withdrew my acceptance at the new role. COVID happened, which flipped my industry upside-down, so it’s hard to gauge correlation vs. causation. But while I have no proof, my gut says that it did and has affected my overall prospects at both places, and how they view me. Whether this is something that is actually documented in an ATS somewhere, I have no idea. And it annoys me that it should be this way, when both companies wouldn’t hesitate to cut me or anyone loose if the numbers said it had to be done.

Yeah, you may have some managers that are loyal to you, but the company isn’t and will always do what is best for the company. If you’re happy with the new opportunity
I’d say take it. If there are some things in the counter offer that are interesting see if there is any room to get those from the new place.

If you are close to retirement, then the case for accepting the counteroffer is stronger. If you are mid career I think the case for moving is much stronger. Even if their counteroffer is fair, you are much more likely to stagnate and be bored / underdeveloped if you stay at the same place forever.

1 Like

So I’m going to stay on as a part-time advisor (probably), most likely a single-digit number of hours a month, 1099 work, no directly customer contact.

should I talk with a lawyer before doing this? Or just yolo?

1 Like

What risks are you worried about?

What does the new contract at the new place say about external work?

I don’t have a contract, it’s at-will, and I have notified them that I’ll be doing this. The two firms are not competitors at all and I don’t see that changing in any time soon, if anything there is a lot of room for partnership as their products are pretty complimentary.

Not sure really what risks I’m worried about, which I guess is a reason to talk to a lawyer? And probably an accountant?

Is that normal not to have a formal contract for a job?

That’s very different to Australia

absolutely in USA#1, it’s called FREEDOM

5 Likes

If both companies are cool with it and you don’t have the ability to steal clients or give away trade secrets, I’m not seeing why you would need to speak to a lawyer.

As for your thinking about an accountant, all you really need to do is send the government some extra money along the way, which you could probably do most easily by simply increasing your withholding from your new job’s paycheck.

Maybe a lawyer could set up an LLC for you, I understand this can have advantages in terms of taxes and liability risk but if you’re just doing consulting for one client there’s probably not too much risk to manage and it might be a waste of money