Business & Management chat

Remember EOD means End of December

https://twitter.com/petergyang/status/1730761243957555675?t=Wj-ipIlKTV8eTt88YXtL8w&s=19

1 Like

That guy’s professional idiocy is hilarious (because he’s not my colleague). On the other hand EOD is hardly necessary for the sake of brevity. You can just say the words end of today, it doesn’t take longer to say. Or in many global companies you should really specify end of business hours in a specific time zone, otherwise you get into this “your time zone or mine” follow up.

when I see stuff like that I really get depressed, I could be making more money and doing less work at AWS or GCP

Counterpoint - you couldnt pay me enough to sit through a meeting like that one.

You just need to imagine larger numbers.

1 Like

A pretty toxic sales manager who was fired from my current company reached out to me on linkedin. I have no desire to help this person and don’t really care about burning a bridge with her.

She’s asking about my experience with a 3rd person who I worked with at my last company who her current company is interviewing. I like this other person, I think she was a solid performer and is a pretty nice person all around though I didn’t work with her extensively.

I feel like warning her about this new company (there are quite a few shitbags I know there, not just the sales manager who reached out to me) but this person works in customer success and I don’t really know anyone in that function at this company so maybe it would be great for her, idk.

I don’t really have any desire to help this sales manager, but I don’t want to miss a chance to help my other ex-cow-orker if this is actually something that would be good for her.

I think the play is to just ping the “good” person and talk to her directly before deciding whether to reply to the bad person.

1 Like

Just give the positive reference. There must be a reason the good person is interviewing there so help that person out. I would then let the good person know you gave a good reference but proabably leave out any issues you have with the company/bad person.

yeah I’m way overthinking it, I don’t have a reason personally to hold a grudge with this person though I would definitely not work with them myself ever again

Was talking about this with my wife tonight:

It feels like from people we know, the white collar job market feels stagnant or declining right now while the lower end of the job market is still humming along.

Right now, besides “AI” is there anything you would point to as an industry that is in a growth period?

What’s an industry that was in a growth period 5 or 10 years ago and not now?

Blockchain?

Just googled an old restaurant manager who I last saw in 2013, one of the biggest psychos i’ve ever worked with, had an underaged girlfriend who worked there, hit on every female coworker, super creepy but wasn’t really an asshole as much as he was completely full of shit delusional and in denial of all his problems.

anyways according to linkedin he is the assistant director of HR for a company that employs several hundred people LOL

I feel like “assistent HR director” is like the ultimate fit for a petty, sleazy asshole. It’s the perfect level to just get paid to callously enforce HR baloney but not actually have to do any of the thinking.

What a year-end/holiday message…

“Working long hours, being responsive, blending work and life, is not anything to shy away from. There is not a lot of history of laziness being rewarded with success.”

I mean. He’s not entirely wrong

The reason this shit is toxic is this only works if companies hold up their end of the implied bargain.

I.e. you put in extra work, we will look after you, give you career progression and increased salary in return.

The contemporary business practice “implied bargain” here is that a corporation is like Squid Game, if you put in extra work then maybe you will be one of the tiny number of people to survive the game and get promoted to VP and make lots and lots of money. They want everybody to work 80 hours a week making money for the company so that they can promote 1 out of every 100 or so, and the goal is that life is so much better for the winner that you will kill yourself at work just for the chance to be the one.

5 Likes

People keep getting our companies different Yammer / Viva Engage communities confused so I’ll post something like “Hey everyone learning Python here are some common methods and what they do” and I’ll get a reply back “May God almighty king of kings bring healing to those in need”

And I’ll have to be like “umm that’s for the Prayer Warriors community.”

but I like to think they’re praying for all the coders out there.

Millennials and younger have figured out the game, though. Pizza parties and title only promotions are memes for these generations. Shockingly, boomer managers aren’t handling it well.

1 Like

I generally agree, although two things I have experienced in the past 2 or 3 years that shook me a bit at work:

1. While the younger folks absolutely get the cold, transactional nature of their relationship with their employer, that cuts both ways. On the one hand, they do not get taken advantage of by a purely opportunistic employer that is trying to wring value of them at the lowest cost and commitment. On the other hand, I am running into way more people under 25 that are absolute ass at their jobs. They don’t try to get good at their job because they plan on having a different job at a different company in 1 year or maybe 2 years. I fear for their long term prospects because while they shouldn’t slave away in hopes of any proportional short term reward from their current employer, they absolutely need to be developing a workplace skillset in their 20s or they are going to suffer hard in their 30s+. I don’t think this is the majority of the under 30s but based on my anecdotal personal experience (which I guess may not be representative) it’s way more common now. My company has the lowest performance ratings ever for people in their first 3 years with the company. We’re trying to parse how much this has to do with COVID/WFH vs. other factors.

2. Distrust for your employer is good but it’s not a universal barometer for determining the truth. I run my company’s retirement plans and we try hard to get people to contribution to get the company match (that’s why we offer it). When we poll people at all ages that do not contribute, we used to get complaints that people can’t afford to contribute or that people weren’t aware of the plan. In the past few years there’s a new reason popping up in our responses from people under 25 that don’t contribute - they claim that they don’t believe us when we tell them there is a matching employer contribution and their combined savings are held in trust. They tell us that they will never contribute to the plan because they know we’ll just steal the money.

2 Likes

This sentiment is in huge rotation on FinTok.