Business & Management chat

Yeah the only real big, career making projects that I could think of in a contact center roles are

• Merger / divestiture related (e.g. set up a separate contact center or knowledge transfer to a company that bought a product/division)
  • IT related (e.g. business lead for a new service desk / CRM software implementation)
  • Outsourcing the contact center

Those are only going to come with specific business conditions, so projects are maybe not a good way to make a name for yourself.

I have less experience in other areas (projects were basically how I advanced my own career) so I can’t offer better advice. If you can leverage your role with sales into some new concept that noticeably impacts revenue that would obviously be a way to get your name on the radar of senior management.

I think if you were passed over for a thing you thought you were qualified for, then you basically have 3 paths

• Be content where you’re at for a while
  • Look outside your current employer
  • Understand why you weren’t shortlisted and fix that yourself (I would really focus your discussion on getting feedback rather than development). Hopefully there is someone in the process who can give you straight feedback
1 Like

This stat about sales force layoffs cannot possibly be real

Anyway some people are confused because a lot of companies doing layoffs in the tech sector right now are making record profits. The layoffs are not about survival, they’re about correcting for overhiring and they’re also a great opportunity to fire weak performers.

Tech just got completely out of hand with compensation. It feels like instead identifying the top 10% of engineers who are well worth the $600k+ or whatever, they just started paying everyone that much.

well this problem is sort of going to solve itself in a lot of cases. Compensation package at (E.g.) facebook is going to be heavy on stock, and the offer is written for a number of shares. Those shares are now worth a shit-ton less, so if you signed on to facebook two years ago, you’ve already got a huge baked-in pay cut over the next two years.

The rule of thumb I learned is that half the productivity of a team comes from the square root of the number of people. So in a team of 4, everyone tends to contribute about equally. In a team of 10, the 3 “best” people will drive as much value as the other 7. In a team of 100 people, you are extremely dependent on your top 10 producers.

This is an old business school rule of thumb, so its certainly not iron clad. I do think it’s instructive about how the bureaucracy of organizations destroys value as the organization grows. The larger the team gets the more people there will be filling out TPS reports and following up on TPS reports and writing reports about the TPS reports.

Also, predictably, if you describe this concept to a team of 100 people them 100 of them will whole heartedly agree that him and the other 9 guys are carrying the team.

3 Likes

yeah but this is an extremely skewed distribution, PARTICULARLY for sales.

like, if you have that many AEs selling that little product, they should have been gone a long time ago. Sales guys get canned (or just move on) all the time and it shouldn’t require a layoff to get rid of them. It’s way different than engineering or other post-sales roles.

1 Like

Not only TPS reports, but playing politics instead of working. As the size of the organization scales, senior leaders are completely disconnected from who is truly adding value so it’s completely rational to focus on ass kissing instead of producing.

1 Like

Separate issue. I think I know the answer but what is the standard advice for someone who suddenly realizes that are drastically underpaid? Like say they’re chugging along making $100k, pretty happy, then they find out Joe Blow with the same job is making $200k? Is there anything to do here other than job hop?

Absolutely. I think the magic of 4 person teams is there’s no where to hide. There’s only six relationships there so you can’t blame others form your failures. If you waste time in a 4 person team, the other 3 people will know.

Even in a team of just 10, suddenly there are 45 relationships. Every relationship is a possible dependency. Time will be wasted just tracking who is doing what and who owes what to whom. And if A owes B a deliverable and fails, there are suddenly a ton of downstream impacts and it’s actually hard to find the original sin in a sea of failures.

I think your options are leave, get another job offer and use it as leverage, or just directly confront your employer and demand more pay. Option 3 is immediately available but if your employer says no then suddenly everyone is angry.

hopping is by far the best move

you can get a bump by confronting the boss but there are usually going to be some sort of caps on the maximum size of a bump that HR has imposed, and the bigger the company the more set in stone those policies are, and even if you get it, there will be a bunch of residual bad tastes (possibly on both sides depending on how it goes down)

1 Like

pretty sure these numbers are off by a lot, I literally cannot believe there is nobody at salesforce pulling down 7 figures, especially if that stat above is correct.

Apparently Goldman and Morgan Stanley both just did massive layoffs and are paying zero 2022 bonus (like half or more of your comp in banking), just brutal.

:violin:

5 Likes

You’re saying they zeroed everybody? That seems impossible short of them being broke.

I’m pretty sure most people got zero in 2008 as well.

Insiders claim the Wall Street giant — whose Wednesday layoffs were dubbed “David’s Demolition Day” after CEO David Solomon — emailed calendar invites that called targeted employees to phony business “meetings” at its New York headquarters.

But once the employees arrived in a conference room — many of them for meetings as early as 7:30 a.m. Wednesday — they were greeted by the head of the team telling them they were getting canned and their manager grimly observing the proceedings.

Indeed, the cold efficiency of the proceedings took on a more chaotic feel as many managers weren’t clear about next steps, including when health insurance coverage would end or how much severance fired employees would receive.

That’s partly because the human resources department was among the units that were hard hit by the firings, and lacked the headcount to properly administer the meetings, insiders said.

My interpretation, based on a quick skim of some articles, is that they fired 3,200 employees with an overall plan to get rid of a total of 4,000. The expectation is that, by giving the remaining 800 employees a zero bonus, those employees will leave voluntarily.

I couldn’t see anything to suggest that everyone is getting zero. That would be shocking.

1 Like

To be fair, most HR teams couldn’t effectively manage those meetings with a thousand HR people to help.

I did a bit more digging and I think this is right. It sounds like people are going to get “bad” bonuses but not zeroes.