Business & Management chat

Sorry, I meant zero bonus for the people getting fired. Which, on one hand obviously since you’re firing them, but on the other that’s pretty shitty in an industry where bonus is such a huge percentage of overall comp.

Some info here:

tenor

Keeps getting more insane the more you read

Even by show-business standards, former Walt Disney Co. executive Geoff Morrell netted a massive payday from his brief time in Hollywood.

Mr. Morrell started working at Disney on Jan. 24, 2022, as the company’s chief corporate-affairs officer. He left less than four months later following a public-relations implosion that led to employee protests and pitted the company and then-CEO Bob Chapek against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

For those 70 weekdays, Mr. Morrell made $8,365,403 in total compensation—or about $119,505 a day, according to calculations based on a proxy statement that Disney filed Tuesday.

When the payouts associated with his termination agreement are taken into account, that per-day figure jumps to $176,746.

Disney also paid Mr. Morrell about $500,000 to move his family to Los Angeles from London and another $500,000 to move away when he lost the job. Then, after he left the company, Disney bought the $4.5 million southern California home that Mr. Morrell had purchased, according to Disney’s filing.

1 Like

Quick update on this.

The session with the exec was pretty useless. Very generic feedback about not having enough experience compared to the ones who were shortlisted.

Plus some platitudes about looking for ways to help me take on new experiences.

Shrug

Ugh. That’s disappointing

1 Like

Really don’t get why anyone smart enough to work at Goldman would work at Goldman.

probably has something to do with the huge scrooge mcduck vault of krugerrands they have in the basement

Another update: Benefits realized! I’m told I’m getting a slightly fancier title (with no accompanying economic benefit)

1 Like

Anyone interested in an update with a question? They’ve kept the companies largely separate just moved them into the same building so I’m essentially doing the same work but for a different boss. Starting in Jan they demanded everyone come back into the office 3 days a week. I tried it for a few weeks but I’ve been 3 years from home now since the very start of covid. You can’t let a wild stallion run on the open plains for 3 years then corral them back into a stable and expect them not to go mad.

I asked if WFH was negotiable and got a firm no. Then a major gas pipe burst on my commute causing 20+ min delays both ways for 12 weeks, I asked for dispensation due to this and got another firm no. So I got a fully remote offer from another company and handed in my notice. The same day I get a phone call from my new manager essentially begging me to stay because “you’re probably the only person in world who knows how [our old system] works” and suddenly it’s no issue for me to WFH full time.

Now I’m very comfortable in my current job and when working from home I get quite a lot of free time but at the same time this is some horseshit right? Like they’re stringing me along until they fully extract my knowledge then I’m outski no?

• Take the new job, fuck those guys
  • Keep the old simple job with full WFH and lose the new offer

0 voters

20% raise or fuck off.

2 Likes

You should add an option to negotiate a raise in order to stay. They need to know that refusing to negotiate previously on your employment terms isn’t a freeroll. Especially now that you have the leverage of a second offer and knowing that they know your worth now. Failing to develop a backup plan for your institutional knowledge sounds like a management error that they’re likely to repeat, but either way presumably you’ll be able to tell if your position is put at risk with enough notice to craft another exit plan.

4 Likes

I feel like I’m too risk averse and change averse to think about these situations rationally. My immediate reaction is to say, “Oh, they caved and gave me exactly what I was asking for.” But that’s almost certainly wrong, and I’m not sure how to adjust my thinking.

1 Like

This is such a good way to put it.

4 Likes

No it’s not. If you’re happy, stop being a dick.

They started it. You can’t let assholes freeroll you.

3 Likes

I’d bail. I would never feel comfortable working for that employer again even if they did give me a 20% raise under duress.

I’d take the new job and offer to consult after hours for $250-$400/hr depending on what you do. That’s what I did when I left my old firm (I had been asking for a raise for a couple of years and they wouldn’t budge).

4 Likes

Yep, this.

Asked my boss for a transfer to a different project today via slack DM. Already cleared it with the other team, just need his approval. Nothing. Green light staring at me. No response. 2 hours ago. lmao.

I think Fatboy’s play is GTO. I would add that should you elect to stay, you will always be the guy that tried to “extort” the company. Extremely unlikely that you will be promoted and yes, as we speak, they are planning how to extract and transfer all of your legacy knowledge. The after hours consulting idea is strong, but I strongly recommend you take the new offer.

3 Likes

Yeah I can see this. Although it wasn’t as if I gave an ultimatum or anything I just handed in notice fully expecting it to just go through. I wasn’t hoping for a counter offer.

3 Likes