Business & Management chat

I’m negotiating a transaction where they are running up legal costs by tens of thousands of dollars with absolutely zero benefit to their client. I would argue negative benefit because it’s really pissing us off and we are less likely to deal with their client in the future as a direct result.

https://adaptershack.com/t/angery/_tmp_phpnsuf2h_maxresdefault.jpg

FUCKING LOOK AT MY FUCKING CALENDAR

one of the sales reps I usually work with is out on new parent leave, and two of the reps that do public sector work are handling her accounts, and at the same time our commercial SDR left the company so the public sector SDR is handling everything, and these public sector dipshits absoltely have no fucking idea how to look at someone else’s calendar. typical example:

• December 2021
  • take dog to vet for annual checkup
  • make appointment for next year’s appointment while checking out
  • mark my work calendar “out of office” for next year’s appointment on Monday, December 5th 2022 at 8:30 am
  • 11.9 months elapse
  • on Friday, December 2nd 2022 at 3:00PM inside sales rep books me for a meeting with a prospect on Monday at 8:00 am
  • I decline the meeting within like 10 minutes
  • at 10 pm on Sunday, December 4th 2022 green account exec slacks me “hey are you out for this meeting tomorrow”
  • “yes I’ve been marked out of the office at that time LITERALLY FOR A YEAR good luck”

At least in your case the client has a bit of an excuse (I assume they don’t have direct access to your calendar)

Not that flexible.

If @econophile wants to demonstrate satisfactory client commitment then he needs to build a time machine so that he can not only attend without notice meetings that are happening in real time but can attend meetings that have already finished. Get it together guys, the client comes first.

So I’m finding myself in a really weird situation. It’s starting to slowly dawn on me that everyone who does what I do successfully seems to be either a million watt charismatic salesperson (hard to find, very obvious why it works) or is an at least medium traumatized person with ADHD. I’m obviously a core member of the second group lol.

So my thinking is that the second group is a lot easier to find/recruit than the first group (not because they’re hard to see, but because the competition for them is fierce going on pointless). What is the most efficient way to find as many of these people as possible? Does anyone have any idea where they tend to congregate?

12 Likes

I laughed pretty hard at this.

LinkedIn can be wild.

Guy I know. Very senior guy. Seemed to very switched on and reasonable. Now going a bit nuts.

First post I see.

It’s a random promo video for his old consulting firm. At which he was partner. Hes commented underneath 5 paragraphs of rants about how they screwed him over and were a shit company. Okay. Not how I would do it, but whatever.

Next post.

Some random junior has posted “excited to start as a Business Analyst at (company)!!!”. Hes gone and copied the same screed below her personal post as well. Kind of intense

This is all of humanity, not just your job.

3 Likes

:thinking:

Not. Sending. Their. Best.

2 Likes

LOL recruiters. Lots of similarities to lol realtors. The top 1-3% of them are fantastic and well worth the fees but the vast majority are completely useless.

(I have no idea what TC means)

2 Likes

total compensation

about 5% of recruiters are decent, and it’s good to have a pile of them in your rolodex when you really need to start looking for shit. Generally when I get one of these cold emails I will respond a couple of days later with something like “send me OTE, JD and details on the client and I’ll review” (OTE = “on target earnings” which is basically the same as total comp for sales jobs). The real pros will absolutely share this stuff if they’ve seen your linkedin profile and know you’re actually a potential fit for what they have. the dipshits will be like “I need to speak with you first to be sure we’re positioning you for the right roles” or my favorite “there’s actually not a job description yet” (GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE).

They will also do anything in their power to make it a phone call, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER GIVE THEM YOUR PHONE NUMBER and do not call them either unless you have government grade caller ID blocking. Zoom ONLY.

2 Likes

So. I applied for a promotion at work recently and didnt get shortlisted.

I got a note back from the hiring manager (who is my bosses boss) that said

“Your application was strong. If you are interested, I’ll set up some time for us to co-develop a plan to assist with your ongoing development”

I’ve got 30 minutes with him tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to prepare / ask for?

I’m thinking firstly some feeback on what they are looking for at the next level.

But I also think its a chance to ask for specific support. Whether that’s help getting a mentor, or a chance to lead a bigger project, or maybe some funding for training?

The guy is very time poor. So I need to ask for things he can help with easily with little effort on his part.

What do you think?

I think you’re on the right track here.

You only have 30 minutes, asking him about getting a regular mentor is a good nod to not eating up his time but still acknowledging that you value his input etc.

I would probably ask what in your application stuck out and caught his attention, and then follow that up to see if you need to either broaden or deepen your expertise from that starting point.

Try to get some sort of agreement to ongoing skip-level meetings with him, even if it’s just quarterly. Then use those to track your progress.

2 Likes

The biggest thing I would have is an idea of what type of roles do you think you could fit into at the next level up in your organization other than the one you applied to. It’s a lot easier to make a development plan targeting one or two potential roles than some general “I want to move up to the next level”.

In terms of bigger project, yes. In my experience it is much better to be the lead for one big, important, visible thing than many small things. Getting a big project to lead is much more important for career development than getting more training or whatever.

If you are involved in leading projects the best development option is probably leading a much bigger project plus getting a PM who has successfully led those size of projects as an informal mentor.

1 Like

Be as specific as possible. Not “what are you looking for when you’re selecting a Role X,” but rather, “what can I do over the next couple years to make me a compelling candidate for Role X?” Or even better, “I think that I’m relatively weak/strong at Skill Y. What investments can I make to improve/leverage my strength in Y to prepare me to be a great Role X?”

2 Likes

@pvn

Thanks. Yeah. I like the idea of a quarterly check in. It doesnt feel like asking too much.

@bbb7979

My problem is I run the contact centres and service/sales team. So my days are very operational. It’s hard to get onto projects with high visibility.

Good idea about being specific as to the types of roles. It may be a few different types, but that’s okay.

@bobman0330

Thank you. Yeah. I think I’ll be more specific.

Overall it’s going to look something like.

1. Specific question around the role I applied for to get feedback.

2. Specific question around preparing for the 3 roles I am aiming for.

3. Something like “I think I need to demonstrate strategic and commercial skills more. Is there a project or a lead role that would help me build experience in this area.”

The idea of building experience came from another colleague I asked about this.

Of course. He is the one who proposed this chat, so he may have concrete ideas, but if not I’ll take the lead.

And sorry for @ ing you all. I’m sure thered a way to multi quote/reply. I just dont know what it is.