Business & Management chat

Ask them to make you a manager and pay you like one.

5 Likes

Some good practical tips in here:

2 Likes

So all of this advice has been good. Definitely push hard for a raise.

However, be careful turning down more responsibilities because of pay alone. Often over the career you need to do the role then the pay follows.

2 Likes

What’s the agenda for this meeting? One approach would be to treat this kind of like a job interview and come in talking about how excited you are about this important project and how your background makes you uniquely well suited to it. Even if they’re willing to let you do the work, they may have it in their minds that you’re a good supervisor who’s stepping out of his lane to help in these unusual circumstances. That’s wrong though. You’re just going to be the manager on this project.

That doesn’t mean they just promote you and pay you what the outgoing guy was getting, but that should be the baseline. If there are problems with you just stepping into the old guy’s shoes, then the negotiation should be about what are those problems and how can you, collectively, solve them.

I get that, but I’m already underpaid for my position and they’re adding on even more responsibilities now. Both of my responsibilities were done by a position above mine.

If it was a good company maybe I’d agree but they haven’t given any raises in 3 years. All of mine have been from promotions. I don’t trust them at all to give me a raise if I crush for 6 months. I’ve been crushing this role for 9 months and haven’t gotten a raise. Thats the reason tons of supervisors are leaving.

If I don’t get this raise I plan on leaving soon anyways so the extra responsibilities won’t help me much.

Agenda is to basically talk money. OPS manager already asked me about doing it, and as I mentioned before I’m the only one in the company left with experience in what this project is about.

I still do think what you say is a good idea, treat it like an interview. That was kind of my general idea already.

Sounds like it’s not an interview except inasmuch as you’re interviewing them. They want you to start the project like now and this meeting is with the guy who can ok your salary ask. What’s their plan B if you say no? You will probably never have as much leverage as you have now. Your target price should be somewhere north of the market rate for the job. Like at least that + 10% to compensate for the next 2 years of inflation they won’t adjust salaries for should be a reasonable floor. Gotta anchor higher enough you seem to be giving enough ground when you come down to a fair price
(any less than current market price is not that) that they feel like they did well.

2 Likes

One good thing is that the off shift will allow you to job search and interview without wasting paid time off. I wouldn’t do it without a promotion and salary bump myself, but you need to evaluate and determine what’s right for you. Everybody has different circumstances that need to be considered.

1 Like

Meeting went well. I guess head of HR who represents the company who owns us is out until next week so we couldn’t officially talk numbers. But they had nothing but very high praise for me and said they will do right by me and recognize they do have changes to make.

So I guess we will see next week. This week I’m just here to learn from the current guy before he leaves. Honestly I think this delay is good because by the time she gets back I will be literally their only option. With the manager in charge of the situation gone I will be the only one who knows how to do two operations here lol.

7 Likes

Also want to thank you all for the good advice

2 Likes

So I have a coworker who invited to take his spot with a small project team that he was working with. I interviewed and I feel like I’m going to probably get it. The thing is he told me not quite my job and just do this project work on the side like he did. The hours very much overlap. The pay is 1.5x my normal job. Load-wise I feel like I could probably handle it as my current job isn’t the most demanding ever, but I feel uncomfortable essentially working two jobs at the same time. I wouldn’t want to quite my main job as it pays well, benefits, etc while the second job is project work.

Is this a case of

Don’t be a pussy do it

Take both jobs but if you can’t handle the project job, go ahead and quite no harm no foul

Or don’t be stupid you’re going to get shitcanned instantly

?

1 Like

Also how would you reply in a business email if someone from China said they hope you had great holiday?

Chances are they don’t celebrate it but they might?

Financially how comfortable are you and how’s saving for retirement going?

If you need the extra money definitely just go for it

“Thanks, and likewise to you if you got to enjoy some time off, too” seems pretty innocuous.

What do you mean when you say the hours overlap? If both jobs have defined hours and they conflict, then you can’t do them both.

Yea they’re both work from home but both have expected hours. The second job is in Pacific time but the hours are still 9 to 5.

What is your honest assessment of how likely you are to get caught by you current employer? To me it’s just a maths problem where you should assign zero weight to loyalty. But assume you’ll be fired if caught.

I’m not really sure how one would get caught working from home for two different employers. Would you really be any more distracted from Job A than any of your colleagues with kids?

I’ve been on a screenshare with a coworker where a calendar reminder popped up on the screen for a meeting for their “other” job.

2 Likes

Snitches get stitches.

1 Like