Business & Management chat

So they ridiculously low balled me. My ops manager called me over the phone and told me. I told him I’d like to sit down but I’m looking for more to take the position.

It’s night shift. They asked me if I would be willing to start night shift next week as good faith. So before we agree on an offer.

I tell them no right?

Just say that you’d prefer to get the pay settled before you take on the new role. Set up some interviews elsewhere and ask for a day vacation on short notice to do the interview. Or don’t set up an interview and ask for a vacation day on short notice, they’ll think you’re interviewing.

4 Likes

It is so incredibly annoying that labor markets work like this. The only way to remotely approach a market wage is to switch jobs every 2-3 years. USA #1.

It drives me absolutely insane when these soulless, amoral douche bags who would fire anyone in an instant try to play the loyalty and “good faith” cards. How about as an act of good faith you pay me $5,000 not to quit right now you fucking asshole?

6 Likes

Good faith? In what? LOL

They’re trying to guilt you into doing a second job for free.

3 Likes

The good faith bullshit is really insulting. You’re a colleague, not a kidnapper shaking them down for a ransom or something. Your good faith should be presumed, and them acting like you need to prove it to them is an insult.

I would sit on it for a while, then tell them that you could be ready to take on the new role by then, but you’re not interested in making the transition at the wage they quoted you, and you’ll need $X to agree to do it.

1 Like

If it’s important enough that you start the new role as soon as next week, they should be able to move fast on whatever escalations are necessary to approve fair compensation in time. What would they do with an external hire - as the person to just start working and then figure out comp later?

This was a Reddit comment as a reply to someone being promoted from hourly to salary but I think it applies in your case, too

but a $20,000 raise seems like too much to ask.

Be very careful of thinking like this. Management may try to convince you this is a raise. This is not a raise. This is you being hired for a new job.

Your current pay scale has nothing to do with the new pay scale. New job, new pay scale.

Do your research on how much these managers make in the company and in the industry. If you don’t feel very, very good about the offer, politely decline the promotion. 50 hrs/wk is hard and deeply cuts into your ability to develop skills outside of work to gain more promotions or find new jobs vs a 40 hr wk.

To reiterate, this is not a raise, no matter how much anybody in the company thinks it is. This is a new job. If $65k is worth mandatory 50 hr weeks for you, great, but the other managers could be making 80k. Or they could be getting ripped off and only paid 50k. You need to do your homework, first.

8 Likes

Yeah. I got screwed by accepting the word of a manager when I last changed job.

New job also covers an office much further away. It’s an hour in the car but 2 hours on the train. I said I would only do the job if they would cover my mileage to drive
Assuming I would be there a couple of times per week.

Manager agreed in principle but didnt put anything in writing.

Guess what happened after I started the job?

Fortunately it was a bit if a moo point because we have stayed in pandemic WFH for almost the entire time and I’ve only been up half a dozen times. But still.

Get everything in writing before you start.

2 Likes

Yeah, this. They are the ones who should be showing some good faith here. If they’re going to jerk Stim around like this, he should be thinking about walking.

I would cut them a little slack because the entire management class is just running plays from the playbook that they’ve used to devastating effect for decades. Some people are not yet awake to the idea that workers in 2021 have some leverage and they need to change things up. Stim probably should be thinking about walking, but only because literally everybody should be pressuring employers now about their jobs. From what I can see companies are a bit panicky and jumpy about the Great Resignation narrative. This is a good time to turn the screws on them.

4 Likes

Is this the same company that refused to increase your compensation until you got another offer that they then begrudgingly matched? (Sorry if I’m getting you confused with somebody else.) If so, this place won’t do anything for you unless you have leverage on them. Do not do anything that reduces your leverage. And think about finding an employer that doesn’t suck.

Nah that wasn’t me. I haven’t gotten a raise since I made supervisor, but tbf that was like 9 months ago. I haven’t come to them yet with me getting a different offer. I turned down the other one flat after everyone told me adding 1hr+ to my commute home would make me miserable.

Monday will be the negotiation day. I will be meeting with VP of OPS and head of HR who also represents the company that owns us.

How should I play it? I don’t have any other offers right now because I’ve been lazy and haven’t been looking, but in the market for this job I could find one easy.

One thing I think they’re worried about is if they pay me, they will worry about resentment with other supervisor. I will be making much more than them and I’ve only been one for 9 months vs several who have been supervisors for 3+ years without raises.

One the other hand they can’t afford to lose any more supervisors, and they can’t afford to let this project fail.

Also this is the 2nd time I’m replacing a manager, not a supervisor, and his salary is now budget money they have to use.

I may have missed some previous discussion, but how would your peer know how much you were making? Especially if you’re getting a raise without a title change/upgrade.

That shit always gets out no matter where you work I think lol. I’m not sure how well they know me but it’s also not something I’d hide even if it pisses them off. Fucking pay people.

He did mention peoples base pay will go up next year, but I think that just means everyone will get a $1 raise because minimum wage is going up in CA and that is not enough.

If this is the second time you’re replacing a manager and you’re being put on a project that can’t fail then it seems to me that you should be pushing for the manager title and compensation. And as a bonus, the other supervisors won’t have any standing to complain about your salary.

3 Likes

Lol, it’s amazing how they always play this card. “Here, take this pile of shit, the state is forcing us to give you slightly more shit in a few weeks!”

And they say it in that disgusting businessperson way where you know the image in their head is you suffering at the hands of various objects in ways we can’t discuss in polite company.

Worrying about the job satisfaction of other supervisors is yet another manager-level responsibility they’re trying to offload on you without giving you the title or pay!

5 Likes

So the play is I’m taking on x responsibilities and replacing a manager so I want x compensation?

Mostly looking on how to start the negotiations. I’m pretty comfortable after that being like pay me or I’m not doing it, just not sure how to start.