Business & Management chat

Laying people off as a service, at scale!

I recently applied for a mortgage [pre-approval through Better to shop rates. Wonder if this associate I’m working with still works there :thinking:

Dude is a straight up psychopath according to that article. This is probably the least shocking thing he’s done.

Yeah. If you ever fire have to fire someone. It’s not about you fuckstain. Let them know. Give them the details as to what next. Then shut the fuck up.

He’s sorry about how it ended up looking

Update: This journal thing is turning out to a lot of work already. Shockingly, no benefits have been realized yet. It’s just representative of a very broad problem in my job - we’re theoretically responsible for:

• teaching
  • research
  • service

Research, by far, is the one that weighs most heavily in evaluations. With teaching, at least there’s evidence of how much you’re doing and how well you’re doing it. Service is more or less ignored, which basically results in all of the burden for necessary things like faculty recruiting being shouldered by people who feel a moral responsibility. Amoral people who don’t feel any such responsibilities just float along without any cost other than contempt from people like me.

The clear lesson is that doing uncompensated service is for suckers. But that is a lesson I STILL have not internalized.

2 Likes

Hit me up when you’ve got it figured out. Things would be objectively better for me in a lot of ways if I could turn off caring about shit like this.

Update. Interview seems to have resulted in the best of both worlds outcomes.

I’m getting the role, but they are restructuring so I get to keep my current team, plus taking half of the team I was applying for. and move up to the next level.

I guess being honest in the interview helped.

“Why do you want the new role?”

“Well. I’m not actually sure I do, as I have unfinished work with the current team and love my current role”

Chances of a pay rise are low tho.

Slide was a hit too.

13 Likes

I need resume help. Trying to land another supervisor or lead job.

Right now its like this

Supervisor at y for 12 months
Lead at y company 12 months
Forklift driver x company 2 years ( i was actually playing poker but I can count on this company lying for me )

Truth is regular worker at y for 9 months, lead 6 months, supervisor 9 months

Feels weird to list I started off as lead but I can’t have all 3 of my experiences listings as the same company right? And only showing 2 years of experience isn’t good either?

Any other general tips?

I need to start looking for better again

Companies won’t usually provide an opinion of you as an employee should a new employer come calling, but they will confirm dates of employment. I definitely wouldn’t lie like that. Even if you think your employer would have your back, some unwitting person in HR might just say, “Hmmm, that sounds like a typo, it says here he started working here on ________.” I’d think showing rapid progression is more impressive than longer employment.

1 Like

New update at current job. They have a big project for 2nd shift run by a manager. They hired 10 temps and paying them good money for the project. It’s a really important project.

Anyways manager put in his two weeks. They asked me if I was interested in taking over the project. It’s inventory which was my old position and I think I’m the only one left who knows how to do what the project is asking.

To add it’s a huge mess right now. It’s a big project and the temps obviously don’t know shit. So the position will definitely be difficult

This is a good opportunity to push hard right? Any tips on negotiating this?

Just put your actual experience. No one will care it’s all at the same company and no one will care about 9 months compared to 2 years. You just have to explain what you were doing before then if they ask, you can make something up or you can just say you were playing poker. No one will care, it’s your current job and experience they will be interested in. The most important thing is telling a story that makes sense, and expressing sincere enthusiasm for the position they’re trying to fill. If something feels hinky about you their spidey sense will tingle and they’ll pass. That’s really the only reason to have interviews, to get a sense of someone and their experience.

1 Like

I assume that this would be taking over this project with no title change. Would you be handling this project full time or would it be in addition to your current responsibilities? If it’s the latter I’d say well, I’m definitely interested in tackling this mess but with all this added responsibility in addition to my current tasks I think a pay bump is appropriate. You can do the same thing if it’s full time but you’d probably have to word things a little differently.

Yeah I’m not sure yet. I would probably have to still at least do some small part of my current responsibility because nobody else in the company knows how to do it.

But yeah I will want a pay bump regardless to tackle the mess. It’s also night shift

1 Like

Oh and don’t put poker on your resume. Just put your current experience and they’ll ask and you can tell them in person whatever narrative you decide on. If you’ve got an objective just say something like “employee with two years experience in X industry, looking to blah blah blah”. That way it’ll be clear that your previous work history is unrelated to your current career. They’ll ask what you were doing before but they won’t screen out your resume like they might if you put poker.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nickwan/status/1473407306884956164?s=21

Thanks, I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to sleep tonight, and I’m going to be angry about this for at least a week.

3 Likes

I agree that data visualization is trivially easy to learn and massively useful. Old people at work don’t know the difference between data science, AI, ML, predictive analytics, and data visualization. If you make a chart in Tableau they will put a big check mark on your goals list beside “Be data driven”.

This is a diagram for a company’s internal learning needs, i.e. it’s a skills deficit chart. In the workplace math and stats skills are in fact relatively less valuable because they are baked into the software that people use. Like you can actually execute on AI and ML using the tools even if you don’t know (or have forgotten) the underlying math and stats principles. Kind of like how everyone can drive a car but not everybody really understands the science of internal combustion. And if you wanted to get from point A to point B, knowing the science of internal combustion but not knowing how to drive a car is a bad combo - you can’t get where you want to go. What this diagram is saying is that the company needs more people that know how to drive AI and ML tools.

In negotiations when they low ball you how do you respond?

I know they will but I’m not sure how to respond

Don’t allow their lowball number to be the anchor. Politely but firmly say that their number is not in the range you had in mind and that you were thinking more like $X, where $X is a number you can live with and is probably higher than the minimum you would take by about 10%. Just any time they refer back to there initial lowball offer be completely dismissive of it and say that it’s not reasonable. If they are so offended by this, there is no way there were going to come up to a number you would accept anyway.

5 Likes

The project is massive and very important to the company. I’m probably the only one with the skills to do it outside of the ops manager. Others could do it but they don’t have any experience in inventory or slotting. I’m the only one left who does.