Business & Management chat

hahahahahah that’s awesome

people who don’t understand how to use “do not disturb” are the best

Loyalty is different from basic honesty. Pretending to work one job while you’re actually working another is just a scam.

2 Likes

If you’re in a position where you can scam a business and 100% get away with it it is your moral duty to do so.

1 Like

I think it really depends on the job. For a lot of jobs the hours are more of a guideline. There are really only certain things during that time that you actually have to be present for. Beyond that, all you need to do is get the work done by the deadline. For the most part, the employer doesn’t really care when you do it as long as it is done well and on time.

I don’t think he is really planning on “pretending to work” if he actually completes all assigned tasks on time. That’s what actually working is.

1 Like

the only problem with working two jobs is what happens in the future when applying for other jobs. A lot of employers will call to verify whatever previous employment you list, if they see a big overlap between two jobs that’s going to be a huge red flag. Obviously you could just leave one of them off your resume but if you start Job A, then later start Job B, work both jobs for a while, quit Job A, then start applying for other jobs, your options are:

1. list both with the overlap
  2. list just one of them and have a gap, which lots of employers use to weed out candidates (this is a really dumb move on their part but it’s 100% a real thing they do).

My company uses anywhere from 40 to 88 ICs per assembly we build that usually cost $0.45 ea that are now averaging $85 each because they’re in such short supply and apparently our main customer trying to buy as many as they can is responsible for the enormous jump in price.

I agree, and if one of the jobs was of the “just get your work done” kind, there’s no problem. But both employers are expecting him to work conflicting hours.

Yeah, but even “just get your work done” kind of jobs have some sort of nominal business hours. So, I don’t think it’s clear that the conflicting hours are actually a conflict.

So I guess HR is back early so we’re on for today?

I’m still trying to work up how to rebuff them when they offer something like $2-3. Problem is I initially told my OPS manager $4-5 because I was caught off guard and didn’t really do research.

I’m pretty sure they will come with $2-3. So I just say well thats a generous offer but taking into consideration the median salary for this position and all the extra responsibilities I am looking for salary or about $7-$10 more?

If they don’t match my offer do I just turn them down or say I will need to think about it?

This sound like a good line minus mentioning my experience? lol

“First of all, thank you so much for extending an offer and for taking the time to consider me. I’m really honored that you chose me. I admire what your company is doing, and I truly believe I’m a great fit for this position.

That’s why this call is so hard to make, because $50,000 is not within my desired salary range of $60,000 to $70,000. I understand that you might be working with a tight budget. But I know that I can go above and beyond in this role because [X, Y, Z].

I don’t want to waste your time. If you’re able to work with me to get within my range, I’d love to continue this conversation. But given my extensive experience, and the fact that my market value is much higher than $50,000, I can’t accept this offer as is.”

Just swap “experience” with “understanding of this project”

1 Like

I think that if you describe a range of $60K to $70K, they’re going to interpret that as exactly $60K being perfectly fine

This is where its good to have multiple things to negotiate on. If you say 60-70 and they come back with 60, then you want to reply with “I can live with 60 if I also get an extra week of vacation”.

Update from this post from a couple of months ago. Turns out the majority owner of the company didn’t like the spin off idea after all and decided to backtrack on his agreement to start a new company where he would have some ownership but no control. So four of us ended up quitting within 4 weeks of that decision.

I’ve taken December off and it has felt great not having to deal with the bullshit. I’ve already had a few conversations with other companies and my prospects look good. Time to get me some of that sweet great resignation money.

7 Likes

Interesting first night as the lone supervisor. Basically nobody else here but me and my team.

This one guy, who did this before when I covered for the manager last week, was over an hour late coming from lunch. First time I talked to h but let it slide mostly. but this time I asked him what time he came back not really planning on making a big deal of it, just to tell him he can’t keep doing that. But he lied like last time and said he has been here the whole time.

I told him it’s ok but he honest because people saw you come in super late.

He got super aggressive. Balled up his fists up and postured like he was going to attack me. I successfully de-escalated and he left.

Just realized this can be a pretty sketchy situation though.

2 Likes

It’s tough to negotiate past your counteroffer, which is why it’s better to just reject lowball offers out of hand and not counter. The problem is you’re coming back with what you really want when they’re just throwing something out on the off chance you’ll accept their lowball, and if you don’t, you’ll tell them what you actually want. Which may be well below what they’re willing to pay you. But since you’ve revealed your actual demands, that’s off the table pretty much.

So what you can do is negotiate the 4-5 dollar raise, which is pretty good, and then set a roadmap for preformance based rewards after that. You’re accepting five bucks to take this on. What do you get when you crush this project?

1 Like

I think we have some crazy shit happen on our night shift (24 hour manufacturing), definitely a lot different environment than days.

So they said they pushed really hard and got me $4. Meh. I told them I was looking for more. I guess I will be the highest paid supervisor by $4 lol but still way short of what I should be getting. They did mention getting more after the project was over but I don’t have a lot of trust there. Then again its only 2 months so not a long wait.

I told them I would think it over the break and let them know. Probably leaning towards just accepting and see how things go after the project.

Reality is this shift is much better for me. It gives me a lot of time during the day so I can go do interviews if I want. Previous schedule of 8-6 meant I had to take time off for any interview and would just be a pain in the ass generally to job search which is why I was slacking on leaving.

Agree on some concrete benchmarks for your performance on this project and get some concrete demands for meeting those benchmarks on the table. They probably won’t agree now but it’s good that expectation on your part is explicit.

1 Like

Can you get some sort of title bump, like “acting manager” or something? That seems like it would be useful for interviewing.