Business & Management chat

Yeah, I can appreciate that. Still feels crappy. My boss in the job I’ve accepted is someone I worked with previously and have a relationship with, so I could be honest that I got a once in a lifetime opportunity to live and work in Europe. I thought the opportunity was dead, it came back, etc, and it’s something I’ve wanted for a really long time.

It’s all still hypothetical for now.

1 Like

Yeah, at my company we’ve had 2 people in the past 6 mos accept the job then just not show up on the first day. It’s not a huge deal

2 Likes

They just don’t show up or they call and rescind? The former is just crazy to me! Are these hourly type positions or white-collar salaried type jobs?

Once you get out of white collar / megacorp world the labor market gets astonishingly flaky. People can’t pass drug tests, produce a passable resume, or even consistently show up. People that can do these things are immensely useful for the organizations but instead of just paying them employers inevitably hope they don’t figure it out.

“80 percent of success is just showing up.” Showing up consistently day in and day out is rarer than you think.

1 Like

This is probably a huge factor in the people bucking the work from home trend.

My point was that the management types that got there for being present every day do not like the idea of “slackers” sitting at home. I know people can phone it in at work (look at all the people posting here during the day! lol) and some can do great work from home.

1 Like

A recruiter just called me to see if I was interested in interviewing for the job that I literally just stood up. I politely told her I wasn’t a good fit lol.

3 Likes

You should apply again.

1 Like

Some of us can do great work from home while simultaneously posting on UP a lot.

1 Like

They just never show up. It’s been happening among the blue collar assembly line workers for years, but the two I mentioned were office workers—a staff accountant and a customer service rep. The accountant just not showing up was a surprise to everyone, but not really the others.

The funny thing is they could probably call tomorrow with a lame excuse and they’d be hired. Our CFO was saying since last winter that the stimulus was hurting hiring. Things would pick up in the summer when it expired, then October, now they’re hoping for next year. Raising blue-collar pay hasn’t occurred to anyone yet

This doesn’t contradict your observation that HR works for the company, not for you. In all likelihood HR is pressuring you to reduce hours because they are probably breaking a labor law by not paying you for them and the risk of being sued outweighs the “free” work you’re giving them.

6 Likes

Yeah, my first thought was that they are concerned about some sort of liability. Would’ve been nice if she offered retroactive OT pay!

I made a poll in the similar thread on this site:

rose-colored

(I’d PM you this but your profile is hidden)

1 Like

My company recently had a new VP just not show up on like their tenth day, they emailed in a resignation later. I have no idea how that happens, but the position still isn’t filled two months later, so I guess it wasn’t a big deal.

May be someone who was applying for a bunch of jobs, took Job A but still was interviewing at better Job B, and then was later offered Job B.

:eyes:

2 Likes

These are “pink glasses.”

2 Likes

6 Likes