Business & Management chat

Yeah, apparently a customer with some relevant technical expertise, so I may not totally have to train up my new boss from scratch, but I expect to be doing a fair bit of that.

Ugh, that sucks. Hiring from customers is par for the course in any marginally sales driven organization.

Itā€™s been mentioned in my last two performance reviews. The company, of course, is not willing to do one iota of development to help people be managers, even if they get the promotion.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a very big pond, so for any new hire in a technical role (i.e., not HR or accounting or whatnot), internal or external facing, thereā€™s a very good chance theyā€™re coming from a customer or a competitor.

Ugh sorry Wookie

Yeah, Iā€™m getting something about what to do to earn it, but the main thing Iā€™d need is for a position to open up, which would be when this new guy bails, or our customer base doubles, so Iā€™m not holding my breath. Weā€™re growing, but I wouldnā€™t anticipate getting another shot for a couple years without changing companies.

2 Likes

So. I was really frustrated.

A recruiter contacted me. Had an initial discussion, then they said they would pass me to the senior recruiter.

They then went silent for two weeks.

Ignored my follow up on linkedin.

Finally responded to my follow up over email. ā€œWe proceeded with other candidatesā€ blah.

Anyway. So I reached out to another recruiter I know. I thought they might have a relationship with the company. They did.

2 hours later, and Iā€™m booked in with the COO for a ā€œdiscussionā€ Boom.

Now a part of me is hoping to get this job, just so I can send this gif to the original flakey recruiter.

tumblr_9b783297b8c7f6c013d9098aa11d6798_ad39a594_250

7 Likes

Dropped a bunch of questions about benefits and stock options on #2 (local job). Will probably also counter-offer after I get answers, which hopefully will buy me more time, but it will be hard to stall past this Friday or early next week.

Spoke with hiring manager for #1 (Euro job) today - Fridayā€™s interview is for the final two candidates, and they wanted to get out in front of the compensation question. I was transparent - said Iā€™m not in this to gain from some lavish expat package (which I know wouldnā€™t be available), but canā€™t do a big reduction in income due to taxes and cost of living. Gave them what my target would be in USA#1. Reminder: I previously worked for this company, so Iā€™ve been assuming the whole time that theyā€™re going to look at my historic comp anyway.

Also told them I had another offer on the able, which I donā€™t think will speed things up much (would be making a decision/offer after Friday anyway), but perhaps makes them consider a strong package if Iā€™m their pick.

Itā€™s crazy how long this job process has taken. I first applied on August 3rd. Havenā€™t even started yet. I canā€™t imagine doing this shit without a paycheck coming in.

1 Like

I love how close to every company routinely says they have an urgent, immediate need then takes 2-3 months to hire someone.

5 Likes

It is wild how slow places move sometimes. I first inquired about the expat job Iā€™m looking at in late July. Final interview is Friday. There werenā€™t even than many interviews - 3 rounds total.

The start-up was very different. First informal inquiry to offer was about 30 days. Theyā€™re moving too fast for my process!

1 Like

Hey.

So thoughts on this one.

Iā€™m currently applying for jobs outside my company. This is mainly about promotion and salary, as i quite enjoy my current job.

At my current place. I think im very well regarded. Although my boss is a bit of a blocker.

Should I be telling current place Iā€™m looking around, and what itā€™s about? I cant see much opportunity for a bigger better role here, but maybe they would see something Iā€™m not?

I would never tell my place I am looking. Get an offer then tell them. If you are valuable and well regarded they will try to retain you. Telling them that you are looking puts you in a worse situation.

1 Like

I finally have a start date! Putting in my 2 weeks tomorrow. I absolutely cannot wait for the shit show thatā€™s about to transpire.

15 Likes

I know some people take moderating very seriously, but nobody expected you to quit your job for it.

8 Likes

Figured out new lifehack

• work some place for 2+ years
  • go into 1 on 1 with manager and say ā€œIā€™m not happyā€
  • ???
  • received $8k retention bonus that they donā€™t call a retention bonus, today
13 Likes

obv the above post was this ^^ and it was a 2 minute ā€œweā€™re giving you thisā€ ā€œok thanksā€ ā€œbye :+1:ā€ type thing

1 Like

Congrats! Donā€™t spend it all on hookers and blow.

that was a crazy turn of events. Iā€™ve never heard of that happening, but itā€™s awesome.

LOL this is great.

In todayā€™s topsy-turvy job market, a strange new thing is happening. Employers are increasingly grumbling about job seekers ā€œghostingā€ them. These job candidates just donā€™t show up for their scheduled interviews. And in some cases, new hires accept a job only to disappear.

5 Likes