Business & Management chat

I wouldn’t tell them I was looking, but Grue’s experience highlights why I think it’s OK and even advisable to talk to them and at least hint at it. Unless you have a very good boss, they probably have no idea you’re unhappy.

Granted, if your boss is a blocker to advancement there may be little they can do, but if you talk to them they may surprise you. How can they know the lack of advancement is such a problem for you if you don’t tell them?

3 Likes

I had this happen to me back around 2010. I hired an employee and she needed like 3 months before she could start, but I had worked with her in the past and knew she was great so I decided to wait and plug the gaps myself for a while until she came on board. She never showed on her start date and didn’t return phone calls or anything. The weird thing is about a year later she emailed me looking for a job.

Oh man I’ve got a wild one of these, though I’ll have to be a bit vague with details for reasons that will become clear.

A friend of mine was a campus recruiter for a large firm, which typically hired large groups of people from big schools.

She starts the onboarding process for the big group of new hires and one of them is completely non-responsive. Won’t answer calls, won’t respond to emails. Start date rapidly approaching so they decide to just google him, thinking he might have passed away unexpectedly.

Nope. Instead she finds news reports. He and his mom had conspired to murder his dad (successfully, I think).

6 Likes

Start-up with the offer out is making it suuuper hard to stall. They answer all my questions really quickly. Sent a bunch of q’s yesterday and HR answers them in like 2 hours and today the CEO took 30 mins to chat.

All of which is actually giving me solid vibes about the company. Also makes me think I can counter successfully. I’m just afraid they’re gonna respond to my counter in like a matter of hours when I’m trying to get through the weekend haha.

I think its generally okay to say that you have other applications in process.

Be as up front as you can throughout.

Yeah. I think I need to find a way to talk to bosses boss.

The slight issue is she is new to her exact role, having moved from another business unit, so i only know her a little.

Boss is quite frustrating. Good guy. Knows his role very well. But

• very oldschool and by the book. So processes all need to be followed exactly
  • not much of a coach. It’s always about the work. I have to drive any career/engagement/development discussion entirely
  • overly hierarchical. Which means we never get air time with more senior folks. He will always present our work for us at his level.
  • overly focused on time in role. When I asked him what I should be working on to get his job or his bosses job in the future, he talked about years of experience running other teams at the same level as my current job.

Which is all a shame, because I enjoy my role and enjoy 99% of people I work with, which is fairly rare in a big corporate.

My source is just places like Indeed and Reddit, but it seemed like ~80/20 the prevailing advice was not to say that because then they treat you differently because you are basically saying they are not your #1 choice. I agree though that reasonable people/recruiters shouldn’t be surprised you may have other opportunities.

The fact that I want to counter-offer, and believe I can do so successfully, plays into this. I think I lose leverage to counter if I tell them. (I could see an argument that the reverse is true, though). It also looks bad if I counter, they say yes to everything, and then I still stall or tell them I’m considering other offers. I don’t want to completely burn a bridge. I may be overthinking it.

If I’m pressed hard in the next 24-48 hours, I may be able to have the hiring manager buy me some time if I tell him what’s going on.

Might be hard to do without it getting back to your boss (if you care), but given boss’s boss is new to the role/division, can you reach out and with a “Hi, congrats and welcome, would love to grab a coffee and chat about this business unit”?

Are there other departments or groups within your big corporate that you could try and get into that would yield better opportunities?

Enjoying the role and people around you is huge. Glad you have that going for you, at least. Doesn’t hurt anybody to test the waters externally - you can’t guarantee the same enjoyment of role and people, but you could very well get the comp/position you’re looking for.

Now that’s some serious ghosting.

6 Likes

I got off the phone with the CEO an hour ago. Gave me a whole bunch of detailed info that I took notes on, and a 40 page investor deck, but I then ya know, went back to my day job (and posting on UP). Internal recruiter just texts, can you chat now?? Umm, sure, but I hope you understand that I am pretty much in the same position as I was 2 hours ago because I have a day job and haven’t had a chance to review anything. It’s a little off-putting.

Ok, I’ll try to stop the blow by blow updates.

I enjoy the blow by blow updates.

Yeah. I would need to tell my boss before talking to his boss I think.

Anyone know what happens to PTO once you quit? Do they have to pay out any that you have accrued but not used? Probably state specific which means I get none knowing Indiana.

I recently looked this up and it is indeed state specific.

I think some companies have switched from sick time to PTO specifically because sick time had to be paid out upon leaving.

This is also a “trick” for the unlimited vacation companies, since there is nothing accruing for them to pay out.

2 Likes

Huh. That sounds backwards to me. At my company, sick time was use it or lose it within a given year, but PTO accrued if you didn’t use it, up to accruing 240 hrs. I thought most places worked the same way, that sick time would vanish automatically, but PTO was what they owed you.

And yeah, fredd, that’s totally part of the conspiracy. Thankfully, companies switching from PTO to unlimited, at least in CA, have to pay out accrued PTO when they switch, and I was pretty darn close to the max thanks to the pandemic resulting in me not taking as much time off.

1 Like

In Ontario’s public sector, they used to allow employees to bank sick days. People would work in the public sector for 30 years, never take any of their 6 sick days per year, and when they retired they would first get 6 months+ of fully paid banked “sick leave”, and then when that stopped they would start their lifetime defined benefit pension. Ah, the good old days.

1 Like

My step mother had saved up over a year of vacation + sick days by the time she retired as a teacher. They paid it out as a lump sum IIRC.

1 Like

I worked from home today. I have a coworker giving me live updates.

My boss cancelled his trip. My manager is missing. My other coworker is also MIA. The head of the company is in my bosses office.

What an absolute shit show lol. No one has yet to say a single word to me.

4 Likes