Business & Management chat

This is the only positive here, is really fast career progression. I’ve only been working there a year and a half and made it from just a data entry type guy for inventory to supervisor really quickly. I could see myself being senior management in probably another couple of years.

1 Like

Anyone here works for a company with unlimited PTO? if so, how do you feel about it?

It’s always a ploy to make you take less time off. Your boss now has the power to guilt you or reprimand you into not taking it when instead you would have been entitled to your given time, and even if they don’t do that, they know people will forget to take their usual allotment. So, definitely take your time, at least as much as you had been entitled to before the switch, and if they start giving you shit about it, then it’s time to think about looking for a better job.

Here’s a more complete picture.

I work for a small company. A group of 5 of us are spinning off a new company and quitting our current job to start anew. We will be cashing out all our accrued PTO when we quit. Most of us have 100+ hours of accrued PTO.

So, with this fresh start I am thinking of ways of making it easier for people to have a flexible schedule. We all work mostly remote, and as long as we get the work done we don’t care about when or where people do their work. Actually, that’s partly one of the reasons we are leaving our current company.

I have not discussed this unlimited PTO idea with the whole group, but I definitely will as we want to make the company run with as much team input and ownership as possible.

So yeah, I’m wondering if there’s strong feelings and arguments for/against it out there.

Well, if you want to use your powers for good, I’m not going to stop you. I would expect to be met with skepticism from a fair number of potential employees, even if you try to spin it positively.

That’s the intention, but good to know that there may be a negative perception to it.

I’m with Wookie for the most part. However, when you’re small like your 5 person company, you’re probably fine with this. At that stage, everyone is probably working their ass off. But once you get bigger, I think it breaks down for the reasons Wookie explains and others.

You could put unlimited PTO with a recommended minimum.

Why stop there? Go unlimited with a required minimum.

2 Likes

Thanks for the inputs, guys.

One of the things that worried me was everyone starting with zero PTO, but that could be fixed by starting everyone at 40 hours with additional hours starting to accumulate after 3 months.

Under utilizing PTO is a concern. Most of us have too much accumulated, and I think this is contributing to the burnout we are feeling in our current company

With this fresh start I want to change our culture and mindset about how much we work. But it can be a hard balance between that and making a new company get off the ground.

Unlimited PTO is also a scam to keep the liability off the books

4 Likes

My company caps the amount you can carry over, which is fine because there is zero pushback on people using PTO, even when we are super busy.

This

If you wanted to encourage people to use PTO to avoid burnout, are there any businesses that pay extra, like an overtime rate, for your first x hours of PTO used in a year?

Just applied to a bunch of jobs, I’ll keep you guys updated.

I absolutely crush in interviews. I must say though I’m pretty lazy with my resume because I don’t want to spend a lot of time crafting it was I want to enjoy my time off.

That said it’s probably better than most people in my industry.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard of any businesses tgta do this, but it’s an interesting idea.

my wife has worked at multiple companies that offered unlimited PTO but they didn’t discourage using it, in fact i think company policy was to approve every or nearly every PTO request. They regularly had people taking 2 and 3 week vacations.

Welp, turns out this wasn’t a coronation. Got passed over for an outside candidate.

Ugh, sorry. That sucks.

Oof. Really sorry to hear that. Wait it went to an outside candidate? That’s insane.