Business & Management chat

Would the hour commute be a stressful drive or a relaxing/uneventful drive?

Yeah if I out in the effort I could likely find somewhere closer that pays as well.

Since Iā€™m new to this whole regular job thing I wasnā€™t sure how big commute is. Sounds not worth it though

Itā€™s California so traffic lol

Should have still try to use this as a bargaining chip with my current job, or if Iā€™m not going to leave I shouldnā€™t bother?

Gross. The two years in which I needed to commute an hour or longer were in New England and I was fortunate to be going opposite the bulk of the commuters, making the drives rather mindless.

I mean, it sounds like your current company is a sinking ship, and you shouldnā€™t be the last rat off of it. I donā€™t have a sense of how difficult itā€™d be to get another job at a 3rd company that could be closer to you (I guess check some listings?), but losing an extra 15% or so of your waking hours is a big cost to pay to switch to this job. Iā€™d have a hard time taking that without also intending to move in the relatively near future. So, is the new company some place where youā€™d want to move to?

1 Like

So this company is owned by a billion dollar company so I doubt they will go under anytime soon. I heard this company whole thing is buying other companies and making them profitable.

I think a huge part of that is cutting costs though which is why it sucks so much right now.

No finding a different company shouldnā€™t be too hard. Itā€™s warehouse/shipping which has a huge labor shortage right now.

Even if it doesnā€™t go under, you made it sound like it will just increasingly suck to work there. Iā€™m still bailinā€™.

1 Like

You guys are the best. Thanks again

2 Likes

Hour commute would be a big no for me but plenty of people do it. Pretty sure every warehouse in the country is in desperate need for labor. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere Iā€™d imagine you could find something closer to you without much hassle.

Alright I was kind of chicken shit and sent an email telling them I will not be taking the position. I told them Iā€™d call but the way they have been talking I can already tell theyā€™d pressure me to take it.

Might be too late for this, but it sounds to me like youā€™re on a bit of a freeroll.

You do want the job but need extra enticement due to commute.
Youā€™re currently happy-ish in your current role, it pays less but is close to home.
The new company seemingly really wants you.

Is there a scenario where you go back to new company and say, ā€œI really would like to work for you but canā€™t justify the commute. If youā€™ll up the job offer by 20% $ to offset travel costs and hassle, then Iā€™ll gladly acceptā€

They say yes, you win.
They say no, you donā€™t lose because nothing has changed.

because having a picture on the resume destroys their plausible deniability when they throw away all the resumes with ethnic-sounding names

1 Like

Racial discrimination isnā€™t the only type of discrimination related to the use of photographs.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦. If you remember my saga with the company I applied for I have a mostly final update. They are offering me a 15% raise from where I am at now along with a $25k signing bonus and another 24k bonus in year 2. After that any bonus would be based off the companies profit sharing program. Alsoā€¦ I would work from Indy full time with no relocation required. Seems like a pretty good dealā€¦ anyone want to share some advice or opinions?

Edit: 6% 401k match and 4 weeks PTO.

11 Likes

Seems pretty decent. Unless thereā€™s something really compelling in your current position, I donā€™t see why you donā€™t take this.

Literally nothing. The fact that I can stay here is huge for me. Indy is way cheaper than DC!

1 Like

Whatā€™s the typical profit share bonus? Do you have a bonus where you are now?

Speaking with a recruiter later today.

Another contact centre role, but outsourced instead of inhouse. 1000 people vs 300.

Not sure if ive taken the best line on salary. I thought that it might not have paid well, so I told the recruiter my salary as a way of seeing if it was a dealbreaker. She said ā€œsalary is fineā€

I hope she doesnt think Iā€™m willing to move for my current salary. Either way. Iā€™m pretty happy where I am, so in a good negotiating position if it gets that far.

2 Likes

Itā€™s smaller. My bonus now is up to 15%. The new place would be like 5. But Iā€™m fairly certain we are having a down year so Iā€™ll be getting less than 15. My guaranteed base salary at the new place would be my regular salary plus the top end of my bonus where Iā€™m at now. This excludes the $50k signing bonus. I think the new job would also has a much higher upside career wise. Iā€™ve been asking for new opportunities at my current place for 2 years to no success. I think Iā€™m stuck.

1 Like