Business & Management chat

Shouldn’t you be interviewing for positions at other companies that don’t (A) have Zoom video setting policies that (B) suck?

I generally think it’s for the better, especially with customers

yeah I got no problem with that but FFS fuck the mandatory go back to the office/relocation “when covid is over” stuff, blow me.

1 Like

Sr Director quits so we have to have a ~35 person meeting with his directs and their directs (me etc) to “discuss” this. A different Sr Director is taking his place, but he’s also bringing over a project he leads called Foo. I’ve never heard of Foo and someone describes it, and says “oh yeah its in some ways similar to Bar (a project who is in this organization and all ~5 people are on this call)”. A peer of mine who was on my project Baz recently left to go to Bar.

I pipe up and say “Hey, when project Bar is dissolved, can my project have (peer) back?”

This was, unbelievably, not the right thing to say.

4 Likes

So, this has been going well so far. Armed with being the most obvious and qualified internal promotion and the both obvious and undefeatable secret weapon of asking the interviewers, “What is the most important lesson you learned when transitioning from being the report to having reports?” meant the interviews were pretty easy. Highlights include the first guy, who’d be my double-boss, spending half the interview answering my secret weapon question and then realizing at the end how I’d worked it and telling me about it, and then the guy who I knew was the most likely to be the harshest skipping entirely over all the obvious questions (“Why do you think you want to be a manager?” “What would you want to change?” etc.), admitting he just wants to go easy on me, asking only one real question – how I might deal with managing the people who had been my peers and who got passed over for the promotion – and then spending most of the time just giving me advice. So, while nothing is certain, I like my chances for finding out if this overperforming loser is, in fact, an idiot.

2 Likes

Uh yeah that’s a coronation procession not a job interview process. Jesus.

On the one hand yes, I certainly see your perspective. On the other hand, I’m all but certain that my coworker who has only a little over a year less experience in the role than I do is also applying for the job. She’s good, and she should deserve the same treatment, really, but I have to beat her out. The wrinkle is that she took on a role in the company that split her time between our main role and her side role. When I was offered it, I declined, to the surprise of a couple people who were interviewing me today. Taking the split role required indulging in my least favorite aspects of my current role, but declining it sorta signaled to them that I didn’t want additional responsibilities like becoming a manager. So, it would seem that they might think of the woman who took the role as wanting the manager position more. I also thought that taking the split role was a dead end rather than being a stepping stone to manager, and I’ve seen that borne out. There is another guy in a related by separate section who took a split role like my competitor, and he’s still in that role while one of his former peers (who he had outranked) has since been promoted twice. That may or may not bear out in this case.

Bottom line, signs are good, but there is close competition who could be getting similar signals. We both were offered a subtle role change earlier that I declined and she accepted. I’m not sure which decision was more likely to help me land this promotion, as there’s evidence both ways.

1 Like

So that company has finally gotten around to offering me the job.

What would be a nice professional way to decline? They want me to call them.

2 Likes

“Hi, mister douche, glad we could connect. I very much appreciate the opportunity. However the process was not as efficient as I’d hoped and I have decided against making a move at this time. All the best.”

2 Likes

Dusting off my CV and updating.

Anyone got any pro tips?

My CV is generally pretty good, and I’ve actually run workshops for more junior folks on CV writing, but I’m really trying to elevate it this time.

Why are people now making meetings for 5 minutes late? 11:35 why? Fuck off!

Having a picture is very strongly discouraged in the US, interesting

Doubling the latex recommendation

1 Like

I have no idea what ‘latex’ means in this context. Elaborate?

Not coincidentally this was one of the all time dumbest meetings I’ve had

“We can’t figure out how to make your product work in relation to ours”
"Go to our product its all right there"
“Can you just do it for us”
"No"

and of course its 10 minutes over.

It’s markup language

2 Likes

So I haven’t had a chance to call this company back and they left me w voicemail something like " I’m sure you were frustrated with our hiring process and we apologize we have been meaning to change it. You’re far and away the best candidate, we don’t have anyone even close to you and we hope you will consider it.

Think I should accept that as a sincere they know they’re fucked up or should I assume the place is a mess?

I’d still take it if it looked like the person you’d be working for isn’t the one who fucked up the hiring process. I would be like, “Look, I’m giving my old company a full two weeks, and I’m not digging up my damn diploma, but yeah, I’ll come work for you.”

2 Likes

We have used it to avoid teleconference fatigue and give an opportunity for folks to have breathers in between meetings. Sucks going from meeting to meeting. My Engineering org doesn’t even do meetings on Wednesdays any more.

ETA: but it’s actually probably a dumb idea after thinking about it. 5 minutes isn’t going to be some magic refresher.

I think the biggest thing I’ve reconsidered is the commute. My current drive is about 20 minutes each way. This drive will be about an hour each way.

I have to decide if a 25% salary increase is worth the extra drive.

1 Like

That’s a lot, especially if you’re not in a position to move (and even if you are, moving sucks but might be worth it because that’s a lot of lost time). Are there other companies that are closer that you might switch to instead?

1 Like