Business & Management chat

That is laughable that they want a copy of your diploma.

1 Like

I might tell them to fuck off at this point

I could almost certainly get the same amount of money other places, I just jumped on this because they came after me.

Yeah Iā€™m probably bailing. Could just be HR nonsense but this is not a good sign at all. At an absolute minimum Iā€™m politely declining that request.

2 Likes

If a company asked me for my university diploma Iā€™d be a bit like ok I guess but thatā€™s kinda odd. High school is lolol.

2 Likes

respond with ā€œlolā€

10 Likes

To get government clearance I had to provide everything and I mean everything. Iā€™ve had some companies ask for college transcripts and college diplomas, but they were for jobs right out of college. Once I had some work experience I havenā€™t had one that cared

When you agreed to the drug test, they just decided to see how far they could push. If you donā€™t put a stop to this now, theyā€™re going to try to do a cavity search when you show up for your first day.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s kind of insulting to ask you to jump through one more hoop when youā€™re already jumping through a bunchā€¦ while simultaneously trying to pressure you to turn in your two weeks at the current position while they havenā€™t guaranteed you a job yet.

It depends on what industry youā€™re in obviously, but in any white collar job theyā€™re a few red flags in.

Oh boy, I can go work for an auto parts store and then be forced to relocate to squints Memphis.

What Iā€™ve learned is if I really want to fuck with someone, I should pretend to be considering them for an awesome job that Iā€™ll never give them and make them jump through whatever ridiculous hoops I dream up.

1 Like

They could just take the same amount of money and make it some sort of retention bonus or quarterly bonuses or something along those lines. I think if you can aggregate that money into fewer lumpsums it has more psychological impact. $1500 to a $60k employee is probably enough to get some juices flowing. The trick is to make it actually feel like $1500, which a few bucks every paycheck doesnā€™t accomplish.

1 Like

On my companyā€™s monthly call today they announced an across-the-board 5% base pay increase and ā€œofficialā€ embrace of hybrid/flexible work.

Company is 50-100 employees and got hit hard economically by COVID and impacts of lockdowns and restrictions. Thereā€™s been a few announcements of resignations lately so it feels partly to combat that and boost morale. That said, it struck me as a pretty impressive gesture considering how much income declined due to COVID.

2 Likes

I donā€™t really use remote conferencing software where I work but I had a job interview this morning over Microsoft Teams. It was supposed to be half in-person but calling in over Teams to involve other panel members. The in person bit got canceled and I was just advised to ā€œcall in to the interview from home.ā€ Am I supposed to assume anything about whether that means audio/video or just audio? I got decently dressed up and was the first to turn my camera on. A couple others turned on video a bit later looking extremely casual, some left video off. At first I was like ā€œoh ok I guess I just overdressed a bitā€ but now Iā€™m thinking back on it realizing they were probably expecting everyone to just do audio only. Should I have handled that differently?

Sounds like you handled it fine to me.

If I had something that was in person + Teams, and in-person portion was canceled, I would still assume the virtual portion was on video, especially an interview. Always good to err on the side of more conservative dress than too casually. I donā€™t expect my interviewer to dress up.

1 Like

Yeah, I would definitely have the expectation that a Teams interview would be on video. Of course, itā€™s a company policy at my company that cameras are on if youā€™re talking (and even usually if youā€™re not, unless itā€™s a huge meeting or someone is presenting slides or having slow connection issues).

In other news, Iā€™ll be interviewing for a promotion to manager. Hopefully I can pull that one off.

7 Likes

No you did fine. Iā€™d say the expectation is the interviewee use video but if, like my company, videoā€™s not expected for meetings, then some people may not be in the habit of turning video on

1 Like

+1 for handled well.

Not dressing up for an interview could have been marked down, even if everyone else was casual.

I just hope you didnā€™t bother with dress pants/trousers. Ripped board shorts and a neatly ironed Hugo Boss dress shirt is my go to formal for video conferencing.

2 Likes

What industry are you in? Have you interviewed much lately?

Happy to discuss interview tips if that would help. Iā€™ve conducted close to 1000 interviews and recently ran training for my people at work on both interviewing and being interviewed .

FWIW, I know a decent number of developers at AutoZone, they seem to have a pretty legit shop and attract some really good talent.

Itā€™s biotech, and I havenā€™t interviewed much recently (Iā€™ve been the interviewer more than the one interviewing). But, like 5 of the people Iā€™m interviewing with used to be my boss at one time or another or is right now, so Iā€™m not super nervous about it. Iā€™m at least not going in dark about their styles.

1 Like