Business & Management chat

Man this interview wait is absolutely annoying. 2nd interview with the VP was the 10th. Sent a follow up email on the 16th. Received a response on a separate “Thank you for your time” email from the HR contact on Monday that just said “Thanks Tilted”. No response back from my follow up yet. I guess I’m going to send a follow up to the follow up at the end of the day. Just give me some sort of idea where we are at already…

1 Like

My favorite ever business and management post :joy:

1 Like

@BestOf

1 Like

As someone with ADHD the only thing about this post I find unrelatable is enjoying coke. If I really wanted to clean my home I guess?

“group lunch” yesterday on zoom, playing the spaceship imposter game with a bunch of boomers and I hear “oh wow, you can go into the vents to fast travel”.

2 Likes

Wait why were you having a zoom lunch

They called me back just now with a lowball offer and a contingency that I would relocate a year from now. I politely told her that I wasn’t taking a paycut to work there. I told her I would be willing to negotiate down from my original number by 12% which is still a 28% raise for me and the contingency that I would stay in Indy permanently with travel as needed. She said they want to make something work and she would get back to me.

Even if this doesn’t work out it gives me an idea of my market rate and helped my negotiation skills.

9 Likes

Unreal. “We’ll pay you way below you want, BUT…. only if you pick up your life and relocate!”

I’m no expert at this, but getting an offer from them would indicate to me that they’re willing to negotiate. There seems to be a pretty wide bid/ask at the moment though.

1 Like

One thing that you have to accept in negotiating is that sometimes the other side are terrible at negotiating. They’ll throw wild curveballs because they don’t know what to do.

1 Like

It’s one of the larger and more desirable companies in the industry and I’m relatively young so I assume they are trying to use that to their advantage. I could care less about that though. Pay me and let me work from here or I’ll stay at my current job where I’m moderately happy.

1 Like

I had a similar situation a few years ago. The internal recruiter even went so far as to say “we may not pay the most, but we’re the best!” Totally rubbed me the wrong way. I can’t pay my landlord with the best - he only takes money.

6 Likes

Also the best companies tend to pay the best people the most money. They usually don’t go around bragging about the uncompetitive compensation practices.

Right. Like Amazon and Apple and Facebook and Goldman Sachs all suck, but they aren’t known for lowballing comp.

1 Like

Yeah the best people get the best money at the best place doing usually the safest and easiest shit. Offering substandard comp is a huge red flag.

My hospital system just gave every hourly employee a 2.5% raise. Nurses, techs, housekeeping, food service, basically everyone but doctors and PA’s, who “are on a different compensation structure.”

I mean, yeah, I’d rather have it than not have it… but it’s not a meaningful difference in my paycheck.

I think somebody high up looked at the number of people leaving due to burnout or taking travel gigs and said “we gotta do something, morale is SHIT right now”

2.5% should really boost morale! That’s like $30 per paycheck after taxes for someone making $60k.

I was just having this conversation at work yesterday. I got an early look at the 2022 budget and our HR folks are positioning a 3.7% budget for salary increases as a splashy retention initiative.

C’MON MAN!

On night shift, we prefer 6ish cold free pizza parties instead

At least donuts don’t have to be hot

Ok so now this company wants a copy of my high school diploma. Is it reasonable I’m annoyed as fuck by all this? They know I’m working 60 hour weeks lol.

I assume I just email the school?

Are these raises in addition to yearly 3%+ raises? If not lol