Business & Management chat

I’d go with Riverman or mosdef I think.

7 Likes

For my job, I used a couple of peers at my old firm, and I talked to one of the owners of the firm that I was close with and let him know my plans.

2 Likes

I was a pro poker player before this, don’t have any real references outside of this job lol. Trust my old supervisor and manager to keep it under wraps and I think the job is a done deal

I have a call screen w a recruiter tomorrow. I am assuming she will ask me about salary.

My plan is to deflect in a roundabout way by saying something like, “I’d expect the compensation to be in line with similar roles in this industry, that said I’m curious what your pay band is for this position…”

The industry average is available on Glassdoor at a large sample size, so I believe I have a good sense for the ballpark #.

I really want them to state the $ first, but if I need to provide a number I was thinking industry average + 10%.

Thoughts? I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot one way or the other by giving them a number first.

1 Like

I just went through this a couple weeks ago in this thread so I would scroll up a bit if you haven’t already. The deflection didn’t work for me so I ended up giving them a number I would be happy with + I added like 20% on top of it for negotiation purposes. Still waiting on an offer or a rejection so YMMV.

1 Like

Woah, thanks. I originally missed all that back and forth on salary strategy and only saw the Pablo Escobar meme.

I’m not going to say a number. Will see where they come in and respond from there.

Why won’t you say a number? It anchors the whole conversation on their number. Just tell them what you want.

1 Like

What if they have the role budgeted for more than my anchor?

I believe industry average is x
I anchor at x + 15%
They had x + 20% scoped
I lose out on 5%?

Conversely, I anchor at x + 30% and they only had it scoped for the industry average. My anchor blows me out of the water and I remove myself from the opportunity?

Not saying this is correct. This is how I have it worked out in my mind.

The dynamics are in your favor. If you want x+15% and their budget is x+20%, they’re not just going to offer you x+20%. They’re going to offer you x and you’re going to negotiate up to x+10%. Yay. And getting to 10% is going to put you in a weak position on anything else you want like some extra vacation.

If you say x+30% and their budget is x+20% they’re not going to tell you to fuck off. They’ll say “golly gee that’s more than we were thinking, let us get back to you”. And then you “settle” for x+20% with an extra week of vacation.

Don’t negotiate against yourself. That’s really the main point.

1 Like

Hasn’t there been a discussion Never Split the Difference at some point here? Salient point is, it’s pretty much never optimal to put forward a number at any point until you agree to one.

This is decent advice when you have two skilled and experienced negotiators that are duking it out in a transaction that both are willing to walk away from and where neither side will be rattled by an aggressive move from the other side.

That is distinctly not the case when applying for a job. Most people, when applying for a job, are tangled up in a lot of emotions and excitement about the new opportunity. Nagging thoughts about “blowing it” are common. The person you are dealing with does this several times a year if not every day. They have better market data than you have.

In this fact pattern you are better off making the case that you are the preffered candidate and then just asking for a lot of money. Once the hiring manager wants you they will make a lot of concessions to get you. Its easy for them to get approvals because your extra pay is just a small drop in the overall workforce budget. A 10% raise for you just requires them to give 0.1% less on average to everyone else. They don’t care as much as you care.

6 Likes

Surprised this place hasn’t dumped me yet lol. They wanted me to start asap and it’s taking forever. They said they were cool with me not giving two weeks until everything clears but damn.

I tried to do my drug test this morning but place near me doesn’t do drug tests :/

Their hours are my work hours so going to have to skip out on work

Fwiw, I’ve been at places that had me fill out the application/references after starting the job. Some people, especially at smaller places, don’t care about the process at all and only have you fill that stuff out to file away and never look at.

2 Likes

Potentially interesting update on my situation.

Spoke w recruiter today (in-house for company I’m speaking w) and she asked me about compensation. I decided to punt on answering her directly and told her I hadn’t thought it through yet and was more focused on finding a good fit. But then I asked her what pay band she had the role scoped for.

The top of the band she provided was 10% greater than the industry average, and she reiterated twice that there’s room for negotiation. She asked me if this was in the ballpark of acceptable, I said it was an acceptable starting point for a discussion.

The call went well and I have a video call set up w a VP for this Friday, so that’s good.

I’m curious for any feedback on how to proceed w the salary negotiation. Not to say that I’ll get this role, although I’m optimistic, but I’ll need this skill eventually when I do land in the right circumstances. In doing some reading, one suggestion is that I should avoid providing a number. Let them (or whomever, eventually) negotiate against where they think I’m at without me actually giving them a $ amount.

Also in prep for this call, my wife linked me to some article on negotiation written by Haseeb Quereshi. Used to sweat him back in the day on Full Tilt. Apparently now he’s like a business influencer/content guy. Lol.

2 Likes

I want to jump through the screen at people who send marginally to non-responsive emails and conclude them with “let me know if you have questions.” Fuck you!

WHAT CALL BRYAN lmao

2 Likes

Lol drug tests are fucking dehumanizing. So not only is the whole concept bullshit, but they make it as difficult as possible for people. None of the nice places under the same company, quest diagnostics, offer it. Only a shit hole. They open at 7 but don’t offer drug tests until 9. And no you can’t check in and leave, you have to stand in line and sitting can lose your spot. Il

If you come in an hour after opening average wait time is 2+ hours and only gets worse from there.

Some guy was telling me it gets to like 4+ hour wait tim s really quick lol

Just piss in a cup and send it to the new company.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine there’s anything to worry about with your drug test, StimAbuser.

3 Likes

Fake pee at every smoke shop bruh, shit is legit.

All a drug test does these days is check to see if you’re slick enough to use it.

I did two lines of cocaine this morning

6 Likes