Bump this thread when terrible famous people die

Didn’t really follow this guy after super size me. What bad stuff did he do?

“In December 2017, as the #MeToo movement [gained] traction, Spurlock wrote a lengthy social media post saying he was ‘part of the problem.’ In the post, he admitted to serial infidelities and said he had settled an allegation of sexual harassment from a former assistant. He also said he had been accused of rape in college. The post effectively ended Spurlock’s documentary career, as Spurlock stepped down from Warrior Poets shortly after.”

2 Likes

I know he essentially fabricated the results of the super size me movie since he never disclosed that he was a raging alcoholic and its likely why his liver enzymes were so fucked up.
I believe, but don’t quote me on this, that there were allocations of abuse and metoo shit that happened in the late 2010s.

Edit: Yeah, what Wipers said

2 Likes

What Matt said - that documentary was a phenomenon at the time but it was basically all fabricated. His alcohol abuse explained the symptoms far more than eating some fast food.

McDonald’s about to take a big pr hit for killing him. Will it be positive or negative

3 Likes

Either way, I’m lovin’ it

13 Likes

I thought everyone knew about the alcoholism stuff with Super Size Me, but most of the posters on HackerNews (who tend to be terminally online) never even heard about it.

Perfect example that the retraction never comes close to the reach of the headline.

A little curious about what happened here because alcoholics have elevated liver enzymes all the time. I think there are some that are elevated after a heavy day of drinking or whatever, but some just baseline higher. That’s how I understood the process, caveat emptor of course.

If that were true, he would have to probably quit for a bit before to get lower results or he could just fake them entirely.

So what I’m learning is that McDonald’s isn’t good drunk food.

1 Like

They have the healthiest French Fries in the biz. Whataburger seems a clear number 2 but hard to get.

1 Like

His 30 day plan included his always buying and finishing a Super-Size portion if offered.

Even on a first viewing it was clearly more about the evils of gluttony, rather than the evils of fast food.

1 Like

Man, I saw a bunch of new unread posts in this thread and got really hopeful. Disappointed.

1 Like

Were you hoping for the Burger King mascot or Jack from Jack in the Box?

That documentary was really dumb imo. Eating McDonalds for only a month isn’t going to do anything to most people. Especially if it is only one month. Also you could game it pretty easily, You give an in season NBA player that diet, and you probably won’t notice any significant change in labs. If they ate only as much as Spurlock did, their most likely problem is that it wouldn’t be enough food.

Basically from what I recall he tried telling the doctors the only harmful thing he was doing to his body was chowing down on giant McD’s meals all the time and neglected to mention that he was also drinking heavily so the doctor was just like “Wow, your liver is getting totally fucked by those delicious cheeseburgers, that’s really weird”

You’re gonna need a better doctor

What bothered me the most about it was that he ate the fast food, but also substantially reduced his physical activity level.

That’s changing two variables at once. You can’t draw any conclusions about either one doing that.

I don’t know that him drinking = the results were all fabricated. Alcoholism certainly would elevate his liver enzymes, but he also gained around 25 lbs during that month. Unless he started also drinking way more during that time, the fast food might help explain that (the weight gain)

If it fulfills your hope at all, Rush and Kissinger are still dead.

7 Likes

Note the dude was supposedly drinking a literal gallon of Coke every day. IANAD but wouldn’t surprise me if that fucked up your liver real quick alcohol or no.