Bump this thread when terrible famous people die

Horsed around and found out?

7 Likes

Wow. Too bad. Heard he was a Derby favorite. Could have been the first non-horse winner.

3 Likes

He was a big-hearted guy.

4 Likes

Kind of like the Grinch.

1 Like

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1643073029818204160

2 Likes

Hogan breathing a sigh of relief

Thought somebody would put Max Hardcore here.

No one has yet. So I will.

1 Like

Day late bump to celebrate that Maggie Thatcher is still dead.

18 Likes

Not surprised she couldn’t tell the difference between renewable and nonrenewable resources.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1651591241375838214

I don’t know how really terrible he was, but I just put everyone who did talk shows in here if they felt a bit exploitative.

2 Likes

It was probably exploitative, but also seemed so over the top/scripted that the line between real and fake was incredibly blurry and probably altogether irrelevant. So it was hard for me to have much hate for the guy compared with someone like, say, Dr. Phil.

8 Likes

I always assumed that he thought his audience was in on the joke but that is just an assumption. He seemed like an OK guy in the interviews I saw. I didn’t realize he was that old. RIP đŸȘŠ

I remember there was one spring break episode where the guests eventually revealed (later, not during the show) that they were faking everything and that the show’s producers didn’t know.

I also saw a tweet recently from a guy who said he and his friend would sue each other to get on various court shows.

His show was trash, but he wasn’t really a bad guy himself.

1 Like

Honestly would have guessed he was older. He was mayor of Cincinnati over 40 years ago.

1 Like

I feel like this is any reality or reality-adjacent show once it gets popular, people just make shit up so they can be on TV. My wife still watches Catfish, and I’ve seen at least one episode this season where the hosts actually called the people out for being in on it (sure enough they had also been on one of those court shows) and a couple others where you could tell the people were trying to hold back laughter when they “met” in person for the first time.

I didn’t know anything about him, but looking him up
he was born in a bomb shelter in London in 1944. His parents were Jewish refugees from Poland. His grandmothers and a great uncle were killed in concentration camps.

His show was staged. Doug Stanhope talks about it after being a guest on the show.

I went to one baseball game in Cleveland and actually sat directly in front of Jerry about 15-20 rows up from the dugout on the 3rd base side. Hard not to eavesdrop when a celebrity is literally sitting a foot away. Based on the conversations I was overhearing, he was contemplating a run at Mayor of Cleveland (early to mid 2000s). He didn’t seem like an asshole, came off as fairly intelligent in his conversations with his advisors, and he was also super nice to my family.