Bump this thread when terrible famous people die

I saw this and assumed they weren’t waiting at all to start the “vax don’t work?” JAQing off:

powell

But if you actually click through, the “wake up call” is about boosters! It’s almost as if they do this deliberately knowing that droolers will only read the headline.

man, most libs on the WaPo comment section are “good man who made one teensy weensy mistake” and he must be great because crazies on both sides don’t like him. (lol me for reading Comments)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comments?storyUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fpolitics%2Freaction-colin-powell-death%2F2021%2F10%2F18%2F422f6244-3010-11ec-9241-aad8e48f01ff_story.html&no_nav=true&outputType=comment

i do credit bill kristol for never wavering on trmp. but he’s still also a warmonger etc.

Fuck Bill Kristol. Bill Crystal is bad enough with all that USO shit.

Speaking of dead SoSs who helped kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people, mostly children, in Iraq…fuck Madeline Albright.

1 Like

most liberals also idolize fdr, except for a teensy blot of actually having concentration camps for americans. it is all a matter of degrees.

it’s virtually impossible to work and lead in any organization for 35+ years like powell and not know where the bodies are buried. much less so in an organization such as the us army or the joint chiefs or the state dept.

yes, it is important not to let them off the hook for a second for the iraq war. i’m just hoping for a clearer distinction within the conservatives of who went with trmp and who didnt.

Would this be the first major breakthrough death?

best twitter take so far

https://mobile.twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1450100131043348482

2 Likes

Thanks. Havent read much about it. I had assumed he hadnt been boosterized, but wasnt sure.

Czech Republic loves them some old American GOP cronies. Albright was born here. So she was revered when she died. News sources here were claiming that Rumsfeld that he spearheaded HIV retroviral drug research. Really he was just there to make sure that Gilead didn’t get pushed around by the FDA and to make a killing of their stock.

I really wish I could break through that shit but people were legit sad here when Reagan died.

I haven’t taken her pulse, but I don’t see any evidence that Albright has died yet.

I do know when the time comes they’ll be saying how great she was.

And I’ll respond by posting her Herbalife commercials.

1 Like

it’s not just CR. even intellectual russians like kasparov who hate putin, love reagan, bush, and mccain. trmp sort of bucks the trend, but nearly everyone who i would normally respect would choose trmp over bernie/hrc/warren. /shrug

My bad on this. I didn’t know and googled and didn’t really look at the result 19**-2*** and took it for her birth-death, but it was tenure as SoS.

Agreed. But was he worse than Stalin?

It’s more that I think the larger forces at play are the more interesting and more disquieting story. Like I doubt you disagree that you could have subbed in any other Republican official at that time and gotten them to give the speech Powell gave. But I’d go further and say that I think “people who were willing to go along with a bullshit pretext for war” included conservatively half the country. I think you could have gotten a majority of American adults to give that speech, people were enthusiastic about being lying war criminals and lacked only the opportunity to lend a hand. So it’s not that Powell was a good guy or anything, I mean he was a Bush Republican, the entire administration should have gone to the firing squad. It’s that I think “we found the bad guy who lied to us, here he is, it’s all his fault” functions as a way to obscure the culpability of the society at large, or culture at large, or however you want to put it. And yeah, something along those lines is usually what I think. But I think it’s particularly obvious here.

15 Likes

good stuff on the meta tip err. post more.

Yeah that’s quality

No free will is a pretty inescapable endpoint for religion. Requires some pretty magic voodoo to avoid (god gives you free will).

Otoh, way more of what we think is based on biology and chemistry and not some abstraction like the mind.

Clearly we can make choices but we have to remember that sometimes the brain chemistry doesn’t have a path from here to there without intervention (chemical or self reprogram via therapy, etc).

The mind (and soul) is really the root of all evil. They allow the concept that “we” are “better” than others and therefore more worthy.