Bump this thread when terrible famous people die

Did this person die?

No, ā€œGod called her homeā€ :pray: :pray: :pray:

12 Likes

I mean for every one of these there are 99 that survive and feel justified in being anti vaxx. I know a girl just like that, got covid, said it sucked but was like a bad flu, still believes her nonsense. Gave it to her grandma who also survived, so yeah her opinions are set in stone.

4 Likes

Yup. My mother, her partner, aunt, uncle and three cousins who live with them all contracted covid and got over it easily. While my aunt, uncle and cousins did get vaccinated, my mother and her partner have not.

Not sure about my motherā€™s partner, but excluding a recent shingles vaccine, my mother apparently hasnā€™t received a single vaccination since she turned 18. Sheā€™s a bit arrogant about not needing it. Like a lot of antivaxxers, she hears like 2 negative stories thirdhand and thinks that itā€™ll happen to her if she gets it. She thinks that so long as she socially distances and masks up while living a healthy life, sheā€™ll be fine. Seems to be no getting to her.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty gross. Iā€™m happy to cheer for the deaths of the people truly responsible for the anti vaxx stuff getting propagated like right wing radio hostsā€¦ But their victims are something else.

If you made a dollar off of anti vaxx content I hope you die, and that Iā€™m wrong about there being an afterlife and you burn in hellā€¦ but the reason I feel that way is all these other dead people.

1 Like

I think this take is correct, because cult leaders carry more blame than cult followers, ldo.

They may be victims but they also perpetuate anti-vax myths by pushing them onto others. They may not have conceived of the conspiracy theory but thereā€™s no doubt that they didnā€™t just accept the information from social media and not tell a single soul about it. These people have kids, partners, brothers and sisters that they made sure heard all about anti-vax horseshit and they likely discouraged them from getting vaccinated too.

Basically, itā€™s a cult. Cult members are both victims and predators.

5 Likes

We are at war and in war you do gross things.

Yea the anti-vax stuff is as much bottom up as it is top down.

People are not self aware enough to realize the only reason they are not anti vax themselves is luck.

I think we all realize that argument, but itā€™s just not that practical a way to view the world. We can attribute all circumstances in all areas of human existence to the natural lotteries of life.

There are people I went to high school with who still live in Blue Springs, MO and post liberal shit on FB. Iā€™m always surprised when it happens, but it does happen.

To some degree itā€™s all tribalism, but you make decisions on which tribes to join and which roads to go down.

I disagree with this.

I donā€™t agree with this either.

Honestly itā€™s probably way more likely now with the internet.

3 Likes

I moved from KC to SF, was I not exercising free will on changing my tribe?

Even among everyone who stayed in KC, the more open-minded, ambitious people tend to move to the urban core, while the dullards who make up Trumpā€™s base tended to stay put in Blue Springs. Those were choices.

You made a decision to be on this site, and you made a decision to be in the lefty sub-tribe within the tribe.

Can I interest you in thereā€™s no objective reality?

1 Like

He seems like one of those Sam Harris ā€œfree will doesnā€™t existā€ thinkers. Best not to waste your breath.

I agree that free will doesnā€™t technically exist. If you knew the position and momentum of every particle in the universe, and every other hidden variable, you could predict everything that ever happened and everything that ever will.

But you donā€™t - so itā€™s a semantic distinction.

Or maybe thereā€™s true randomness - which is up for debate. Then you do have free will.

But either way you effectively have free will because you have no idea what youā€™re going to do next, even if it was pre-ordained.