Bump this thread when terrible famous people die

When I was growing up in Ohio I lived taunting Rose apologists by pointing out that he was never the best player on his team at any point in his career. Always engendered a civil conversation.

All around, maybe Joe Morgan - or maybe Pete - but my favorite was George Foster.

For a time in the 1980s Bench was a commercial spokesman for Krylon paint , featuring a memorable catchphrase: “I’m Johnny Bench, and this is Johnny Bench’s bench.” In 1985, Bench starred as Joe Boyd/Joe Hardy in a Cincinnati stage production of the musical Damn Yankees, which also included Gwen Verdon and Gary Sandy.

My fav…

Dude was really good at singles. His OPS sucks the vast majority of those years. Tony Gwynn was a way better version of pretty much the same thing:

Gwynn one of the best hitters ever for sure. In an era where only a handful of people were 300+ career, his lifetime was 338. I think Ted Williams (born 1918) and Lou Gehrig (born 1903) were the only people born in the 20th Century with higher batting averages.

Baseball Bunch and This Week in Baseball back to back on the weekend was appointment viewing for me when I was little.

1 Like

Loved those shows. Time for TWIB NOTES

2 Likes

Who remembers Sports Challenge?

1 Like
3 Likes

Wasn’t soon enough

3 Likes

https://x.com/nypost/status/1844875724060065815

8 Likes

What a pity. Hope he lived a bit at the bottom.

2 Likes