Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

I honestly don’t think it matters that much. The whole premise is that she has no idea who it is. And we know that her reflex is not a real thing. It doesn’t happen in the extremely rare cases in real life when people who don’t realize they’re related happen to hook up.

I understand what they were trying to do there, but it didn’t really move the needle for me one way or another.

1 Like

Seems pretty self-deprecating for you to call it the needle.

penis

3 Likes

I hear you. Those are good points. Maybe it doesn’t matter as much as I think, but I think it matters that when put to the test, she discovers she’s not into him after all. The comment that it’s like kissing her brother defines the nature of their relationship. I think that’s ultimately important as the resolution to her crush on him.

1 Like

Waiting to be wrong but i dont find too many problems with FBDO. The nurse who likes to … [door closes]? Charlie Sheen? … rooney gets his ass kicked my Jennifer Gray when he breaks in.

1 Like

The car thing is pretty bad but again a Hughes bad actor wakes up the life of another and is portrayed as a hero in the movie for wrecking his life while facing zero consequences. I mean his dad is Logan Roy.

Does he actually wreck his life, tho? Movie ends with Cam seemingly about to have a long overdue real talk with dad. Sure it could have gone very badly, but still I don’t think there is anything problematic about this per se.

If the complaint is that Ferris isn’t all that nice a guy, then I’m not sure exactly what we’re doing here.

I don’t even know what level of privilege this is on but you’re basically John Hughes in this convo. Bueller would be in jail after this movie in a real world and Cameron might be dead from what he did based on how his dad was described. That would not end well at all and his dad would probably put him in jail if he didn’t beat him to death.

Hughes was great at capturing upper middle class Chicago aesthetic and tapping into his teen years, but nearly every message has the wrong message, it’s received wrong, or has the wrong messenger and it’s really hard to identify with his movies if you grew up poor.

My caveat is that I loved all of them except Pretty in Pink, which i saw again a few years ago. Ferris was prob my favorite.

Pretty in Pink, who is the protagonist? Whose point of view does it best capture? What about the protagonist’s decisions whichever angle you choose?

The whole problem here is that you’re imagining a bunch of bad stuff that could have happened to justify your opinion. Cameron’s dad is not murdering his kid.

Also Ferris is never going to jail. Rich white kids don’t go to jail. Not then and not now. Certainly not for that.

Okay so the good kind of white privilege. It gives a very good perspective and why the movies play so well across class.

I guess I just don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. What about this stuff makes it problematic to shoot this film today. This is very different from Revenge of the Nerds territory.

I’m not disagreeing that Ferris isn’t a completely good person and Cameron’s dad sounds pretty shitty.

These things were obvious then and now.

It would be made today. Were talking about problematic movies or scenes and why they are or aren’t. Go to the other thread if you want to continue.

When we moved to Chicago when my oldest boys were 12 and 13, my brother asked me if I as certain thats what we wanted to do, citing Ferris Bueller and Risky Business.

3 Likes

https://x.com/RealGrumpyCat/status/1794056622983045484

5 Likes

Damn I hate this. I loved his acting. Loved him in ‘War Games’ (which also is hilarious viewed through today’s lens, security at NORAD was just laughably bad in that film)

:grimacing: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Bill Walton. I don’t want to live in a world where he belongs in the other thread.

2 Likes

Hell nah, move him to the other one please mods

What did he do?

That was one of the greatest passings in the history of humanity.

2 Likes

We need a middleground thread for people who were somewhere between good and terrible.