Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

Crocodile Dundee. Absolutely terrible to watch as an adult.

1 Like

Havenā€™t revisited it.

Romancing the Stone is very misogynistic, but worth it for the comeuppances

1 Like

Sounds like we watched a lpt.pf the same movies

1 Like

I like Cloak and Dagger and havenā€™t thought about it in a long time. Short Circuit anyone?

Sixteen Candles has aged worse than most of the other 80ā€™s teen films, despite it being funny and oftentimes touching.

Tracee Ellis Rossā€™s character on Blackish, as the liberal physician mom: ā€œI love Sixteen Candles. I know Iā€™m not supposed to anymore, but stillā€¦ā€

3 Likes

Revenge of the Nerds might give it a run

2 Likes

Rape isnā€™t a cute little courting trick?

1 Like

Wasnā€™t there a soap opera plot where guy rapes girl and then they fall in love?

Oh yeah, the 80s.

4 Likes

Gung Ho was a uniquely offensive 80s comedy, but Soul Man will not be beat.

Agreed.

However, I think that the blackface in Trading Places was fine.

Flame on.

yes

WarGames holds up great

1 Like

I used to love Canā€™t Buy Me Love. I think that would hold up ok.

I thought that was mean spirited and awful then. It most definitely would not (itā€™s the anti Square Pegs). Bill and Tedā€™s still works even with its many problematic things.

Someone should start a thread about this because itā€™s an interesting topic deciding how close classic movies are to inappropriate lines and whether those lines would be crossed and why they would be today.

An example is the Calvin Klein scene in Back to the Future. Would that be made or be appropriate today? That whole subplot could be discussed since itā€™s really the basis of the large plot.

I donā€™t think BTTF is the same as the other examples. Itā€™s not like incest was cool in the 80s.

1 Like

I opened a thread about this idea, and i think thatā€™s a great first one to discuss.

1 Like

For me itā€™s Ferris Buellerā€™s Day Off. I think it holds up OK, but Iā€™m sure someone will come along and disabuse me of that notion.

Agree. BTTF scene with Marty and his Mom was fine. Just the right amount of uncomfortable without going nuts, imo.

1 Like

I think too it really matters that as soon as she kissed him, she felt repulsed as though she were kissing her brother. Weā€™d be having a different conversation if she had suddenly been even more into him. Instead we can see her as a confused teenager.