Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

You can drown in almost anything. for hot tubs, 300 people a year about here in the US. All sorts of things can get trapped in the suction.

It’s been almost 6 years since Dolores O’Riordan drowned in her bathtub.

1 Like

Whitney Houston also drowned in a tub IIRC.

Am I mistaken or are people with heart conditions discouraged from using things like hot tubs and saunas? I believe the heat can vapor lock your heart and you can drown quickly

Didn’t Whitney Houston drown in a tub too? Same thing with drug addiction and all that.

Also TIL that Matthew Perry played the voice of Benny in Fallout: New Vegas

EDIT: Should read the rest of the thread before posting

1 Like

Decided it was a perfect time to catch up on the Friends reunion show I hadn’t yet seen. A fantastic trip down memory lane.

Don’t know what caused the drowning but Matthew Perry looked in really bad shape during the reunion. I mean really bad.

1 Like

Used to love watching this show as a kid.

2 Likes

One of my fav scenes, also when he walks out of his bedroom and rips his suit on the entertainment center

This is very shocking to me. I always assumed that all the Friends would die at once. Like what happened with the cast from Happy Days.

3 Likes

Supposedly the official word is that he had a ton of dental work done right before the reunion, and the fact that he couldn’t take the good stuff for the pain is part of why he looked and sounded shitty. Honestly I could see it either way. In any case, addiction sucks and I agree even if he’s been clean, the past damage from it probably led to his death.

You may have seen him around during the Medicare for All push. Seemed like a good guy and an inspiration

https://twitter.com/BeaHero/status/1719895398129742131?t=RBpXrzgu8EVLFay4KgVVCA&s=19

12 Likes

Here’s a good write up of his life

1 Like

Ady Barkan was an amazing guy, I listened to a few interviews with him back when I was still listening to Crooked podcasts and he was just so passionate and genuine.

1 Like

Gary Sinise played Mattingly in Apollo 13.

“It was no uncertain terms that we were going to land on the Fourth of July, no matter what day we took off. Even if it was the fifth, we were going to land on the Fourth,” Mattingly said with a laugh. “That meant, if you didn’t do any of your test mission, that’s okay, as long as you just land on the Fourth, because the president is going to be there. We thought that was kind of interesting.”

This may have contributed to rumors about what happened to Challenger.

4 Likes

These guys were complicated. (It’s funny, his wife and shrink both said he was the least complicated man they’d ever met.)

“I didn’t care about picking up rocks,” he later told an interviewer, “I wanted to beat the Soviets to the Moon”.

According to Gene Cernan, “the egos of Grissom and Borman were too big to fit into a single spacecraft”.

The effect of Apollo 8 was summed up in a telegram from a stranger, received by Borman after the mission, that stated simply, “Thank you Apollo 8. You saved 1968.”

He wasn’t great as an airline exec but

Borman received a phone call informing him that Eastern Air Lines Flight 401 had disappeared off the radar near Florida’s Everglades. He took a helicopter, which was able to land in the darkness 150 yards (140 m) from the crash site, and waded waist-deep through the murky swamp, helping rescue crash victims and load survivors into rescue helicopters.

He hated scifi, thought 2001 was crap.

The Apollo 8 crew took the Earthrise photo.

4 Likes

Borman turned down the opportunity to land on the moon with Neil and Buzz. Just flying around it was enough for him, I guess.

Yeah, he wanted the US to beat the Russians. He didn’t care about being the guy or adventure or exploration. At least that’s what he said.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1726335585046901209

2 Likes

Surprised Jimmy outlived Rosalyn.

Though he’s probably not gonna be around much longer with her dead.

Yeah, its likely he will be dead before Thanksgiving. I believe they were both in hospice