Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

I don’t think so.

I mean scummy politicians are in the other thread. She wasn’t that. She wasn’t making money off of woo like Paltrow is.

2 Likes

Just put every death in the other thread because everyone does something at least a little shitty or questionable in their lives.

5 Likes

Ya this thread is a good example of the lefts odd purity obsession.

As the saying goes, the right looks for recruits. The left looks for heretics.

3 Likes

Spent decades on TV peddling pseudo-science “healthy living” bullshit products with her name on it

yawning

1 Like

Solid point, but the thighmaster was just a little too close to a crime against humanity in my opinion.

2 Likes

Trump just tweeted a praising truth about her. So yeah. Terrible

2 Likes

Not for a teenager who watched the infomercials in the 90’s.

3 Likes

RIP Paulie

7 Likes
2 Likes

In his 30s when Rocky was made. He’s looked perpetually old.

6 Likes

Actors just looked older back in the day. My wife and I rewatched The Thing the other night. Wilford Brimley was 47 when it was shot. 47?!? Easily looks mid-60s.

Sean Connery was 32 when he did Dr. No.
Connery was born 40 years old.

Jean Stapleton was in her 40s when she did All in the Family.

Norm and Cliff were in their early 30s on Cheers.

Steve Martin has always looked older although now, at 78, he looks great and quite a bit younger.

1 Like

I feel like a subtle thing that affects this perception is the hairstyles. People show up in a movie from the 60s sporting hair that was popular in the 60s, obviously, but your main exposure to people with that hairstyle in 2023 are folks who grew up with it and then stuck with it as they got older (which is a pretty common thing) so you instinctively think of it as “old person’s hair”.

And of course in Steve Martin’s case, the dude’s hair was white by the time he was 30, which is why he looked older, now that he’s at an age where it’s “supposed to be” white, it’s perceived differently.

3 Likes

I kinda hate to glibly chime in and talk about how the truth is in between, but I’m going to nevertheless. Yeah, we associate old styles with old people, and that may be part of the perception, but I think a big part of it is also the abundance of cigarettes and the lack of sunscreen in older generations. Those are two big factors that have changed such that people now look much better for their age than people a generation or two ago did.

6 Likes

I imagine part of it is also how old you were when you first saw them. There was a lot more room for people to be “older” than me in the 90’s than there is today…

RIP to Shaft himself: Richard Roundtree, who also appeared in Q: The Winged Serpent, Maniac Cop, and many other Tubi movies.

https://x.com/DEADLINE/status/1716976083428593665?s=20

3 Likes

https://x.com/DanaDelany/status/1717238324816204201?s=20

1 Like

I really have no idea if he was terrible, but given his struggles with addiction it’s hard to believe that wasn’t involved. Sad.

6 Likes

Dang man. That’s my age

2 Likes

Ugh, this one really sucks. It seemed like he was on the road to recovery and was openly talking about his struggles for the first time in maybe forever.

It seems that aside from drugs he didnt seem like he was a bad guy and treated people well.

Just finished my wifes first watch of Friends too.

4 Likes