Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

So, the question is

Ask random person

Can you name at least two songs from X

TWO is the big qualifier

1 Like

It’s always a dead giveaway when someone can’t spell an artists name. We had this before with Bob Dillon and Led Zepplin.

Dexys were very much not a one hit wonder, at least in their own country. Wgaf about what ‘murican music lovers thought. Probably too busy listening to Buffet.

This would be the interesting experiment for me.

Ten years ago when I was teaching at a university in Wuhan with students mostly from the smaller cities of the province, they all knew Michael Jackson.

Today the kids I teach all know Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. I very much doubt more than a small fraction of their grandparents do. (Also the kids are filthy rich and most speak English better than 99.9% of the Chinese population)

The reasons I put Teresa Teng (“Eternal Queen of Asian Pop”) at the top of the global two song list (besides China big) is that she was a far more dominant figure on the scene of Mandarin-language music from the time China started opening up until she died in the mid-90s. There was literally no pop music in China before 1978 (and China was considerably poorer and more closed off than the USSR, so to the extent that a black market for Beatles records existed, it would’ve been minuscule in comparison to Russia’s).

1. In PRC “Deng the leader ruled the day, Deng the singer ruled the night”’
  2. A-list national hero in Taiwan. (She was from a family of KMT mainlanders and was a significant propaganda asset for Chiang Kai-Shek’s son)
  3. Did Japanese albums (I can’t speak at all to how well remembered she is there, but my understanding is she was a big deal)

(On a sad political note, no combination of one and two or three would be possible today)

For the uninitiated:

“The Moon Represents My Heart”

“I only Care For You”

1 Like

I think Michael Jackson would have the best shot of people in the rest of the world knowing 2 songs.

I just asked my 11 year old and she came up with Billy Jean and beat it.

I think he’s still pretty popular in Asia, no?

Snap take the over on 10% for queen.

Anyone who’s been to a sports game in the past 30 years has surely heard We Will Rock You, and We Are the Champions gets played a ton as well.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. When I was living in South Korea, there were teachers crying in school when he died.

Students didn’t give a shit though. BigBang and 2NE1 were bigger in their eyes.

What if I told you I like both :exploding_head:

I also feel like this got some play over here, but I did live in a bubble when it came to punk/post-punk/new wave at the time, so it could have just been on my local station.

That was a cover but I guess you didn’t know that, ok.

Their first single, Geno, was a big hit here.

Not a fan of them or Buffet.

Rape is bad.

Ronald Reagan sucked.

1+1 = 2

Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

The increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in static pressure

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh the days when The Simpsons were funny. Man do I miss them.

1 Like

Sad that it happened so soon after news that he was on his way out broke.

1 Like

I don’t really judge people too harshly. Most people have said or done something not great in their lives.

2 Likes

X gon’ give it to you
Up in here
Ruff riders anthem

9 Likes

Why in the other thread?

I don’t know either, but there always seems to be something.

Wikipedia normally has the dirt but other than issues with alcohol there was nothing bad about him

Yeah, I was thinking of some of the incidents mentioned in the RS article but those also seemed to have been caused by medical or alcohol related issues so it was unfair of me to say he was possibly terrible.