Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

The Dead are a good reference actually. Like Buffet, their success was far outside the typical path of successful musicians and built on the bedrock of live performance. Most people know one Jimmy Buffet song, but I bet most know zero Grateful Dead songs.

Obviously one-hit wonder is an incorrect description, but it is accurate to say that Buffet was very different than most rock stars.

I am very sad to learn that we have Parrot Heads on this website

1 Like

Sure - Buffet’s success and lasting was based more on his live performances/aura than on his hits. But he couldn’t have got to that point without initially having popular songs to bring people to his shows. This is similar to the Dead. Another more recent comp is Dave Matthews - he never had any huge hits (no top-10 and only a few top-40) but had an outsized influence due to his live performances. But again, he still needed those initial top-40 hits to draw people to his shows.

I’m not sure that’s accurate, the Dead had their biggest commercial success Touch of Grey after they’d built up a cult fan base.

I don’t think Clovis is being disparaging at all here. Some bands just inherently aren’t radio-friendly.but still build up a following of loyal fans through word of mouth. They can be a “one hit wonder” in a literal sense but still have a big cultural impact.

1 Like

That’s true, but a “one-hit wonder” is a band that has one hit and is never heard from again. A band that only has one traditional hit but is otherwise enormously successful is not a one-hit wonder.

2 Likes

Something about shark fins, though that might be in “Cheeseburger in Paradise”

In light of the news

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s just a question of how literally you want to interpret what “one hit wonder” means. Perhaps “only had one commercial hit” would be a less loaded way of saying it.

Clovis sounds like he thinks almost no one knows more than one Jimmy Buffett song because he only knows one Jimmy Buffett song. It feels disparaging towards Parrot Heads, like he feels Buffett suckered a bunch of people into being loyal fans by just playing “Margaritaville”, that his “compliment” about building an empire is more about thinking Buffett had an elite one-hit wonder grift to make way more money than his talent deserved rather than that he put out a lot of music that built up a dedicated fan base.

2 Likes

We watched this last month. It was pretty funny. What a timely video for Burback

1 Like

He didn’t say anything at all about grifting or a lack of talent. I’m not sure I even grok what it means for a musician to “grift” their fans like that.

3 Likes

Man, we will argue about anything.

11 Likes

No we won’t.

13 Likes

I didn’t say any of that. How about not adding a bunch of extra shit to my post thanks.

If there was a way to bet I would bet that less than 10% of a randomly polled population could name two of his songs.

I think his appeal was the truly escapist nature of his songs/writing. He used to do 5 sold out shows every summer in Cincinnati.

Why was he Cincinnati’s Taylor Swift? Partly because of “Fins” (“she came down from Cincinnati, took her 3 days on a train…”), but mostly because he sang about this ethereal, slightly fantastical place and people that were the antithesis of a Rust Belt working class city.

As we on this board approach middle age, I also highly recommend his book “A Pirate Looks at Fifty,” where you’ll see his true talent for storytelling on display. He was truly a talented writer of songs and stories.

Supposedly, according to Reddit at least, he was a coked out prick in person.

I mean who isn’t

Less than 10% of a randomly polled population could name 2 Beyonce songs

We will not. Idiot

Would take the over on both of these.