Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

Ill check this out. Age has started to weigh on me so reading some good takes on it seems like a positive

1 Like

If your pony argued less maybe it wouldnā€™t be so slow.

1 Like

18 and over, yes on Beyonce, no on Buffett. 30 and over, yes on both.

For Buffet, all the youngs are going make it close - doubt they could even name two Dillon, Zepplin, etc. songs. If you limit it to people 40+ I bet itā€™s easily much higher.

Definitely take the over on Beyonce - I just did a trivia round in France and the first question was to name Crazy in Love, and like 90% of the people got it. And pretty sure thatā€™s not even her most well known song (Iā€™d go with Single Ladies).

Besides Cheeseburger and the Pina Colada song, what would be the third most recognizable Buffet song?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know what world yā€™all are living in. Even over-60 white USAians of a certain minimum wealth are going to have trouble naming Buffet songs, except for a small portion. Which may be 10 percent-ish

Itā€™s a trivia thing, and itā€™s in the West, and it was probably age-selected. And was this team trivia? Where a team tries to have at least one person know USA-centric contemporary pop culture?

I dunno, my point was mostly that when people imagine a random sample of humans, itā€™s not even close to a random sample of humans

1 Like

Im trying to guage what percentage of the time you are making a joke with Pina Colada song = Margaritaville and what percentage of the time you are being serious.

Im at about 65-35 joke to serious here

1 Like

Yeah, I was assuming the 10% referred to people in the US. If weā€™re counting the whole world, Buffet is probably sub 1%. Beyonce might still get there though as I think sheā€™s as least semi-popular most places. (the trivia was a bunch of families on vacation - almost all French).

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s an old trope to confuse the two.

This, I was also being US-centric

For USA I think under 10% for Beyonce 2 songs is still very live

Afraid I actually am this dumb, in my defense they do have the same kind of vibe.

After checking google., Margaritavilla and Cheesburger are the only two I can place.

Do you have any artist that would breach 10% with confidence?

1 Like

I was assuming a North American polling pool.

I bet youā€™ve at least heard this song - even if you didnā€™t know it was Buffet:

1 Like

Not sure, but I did kind of pick Beyonce as shorthand for ā€œitā€™s either no artist or its very close to no artistā€ and also because I couldnā€™t name 1 song

Even now that Iā€™ve read 2 Beyonce songs in this thread, I can name Single Ladies but not the other one mentioned

1 song gets way way different for number of artists

Did that include Mexico

1 Like

Definitely not The Tragically Hip, but congratulations to them for building a northern empire despite almost no one knowing who they are outside of Canada.