Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

Coming up on 57. My first video game was Pong. Video killed the radio star.

1 Like

His Wikipedia page says he was a Democrat and doesn’t include a section about legal issues, so I’m going to assume he was one of the good ones.

1 Like

If he did have any demons I’d much prefer not to know about them. RIP to a legend.

1 Like

Buffett has to be the most successful one hit wonder in music history. He turned the one song into an empire and I guess 90% of people can’t name a second one. It was pretty impressive.

Cheeseburger in Paradise isn’t that obscure. Can’t name a third though.

Your overall point still stands though. Dude got a ton of mileage out of that one song.

I guess I’m in the 10%, he was a staple in my house growing up. I like his music more for nostalgia than anything. Most of his songs are perfect to listen to by a body of water with the sun out and a drink in your hand.

RIP

3 Likes

Dude what are you talking about. Just because you are ignorant of Jimmy buffet doesn’t make him a one hit wonder

Margaritaville
Cheeseburger in paradise
Volcano
Fins
Pirate looks at 40
Boat drinks

And many more.

11 Likes

Buffet definitely in a special/complicated category for me because of the alcohol/drug connection.

What’s funny about the good-times-party-all-day atmosphere with Margaritaville is that it’s a fundamentally sad song, as are all his best.

3 Likes

A Google search of his name and one hit wonder generates 700,000 hits and dozens of articles on the topic so I am hardly alone in that opinion.

Calling him a one-hit wonder is the simplistic and lazy approach to his career. Just because lots of other people have taken that route doesn’t make it right. Most of his hit music was released 30-40 years ago, so the fact that only one still gets regular air-play on oldies (although I’d bet Cheeseburger does too and probably some of the others get an occasional play) doesn’t negate that they were hits when released.

edit - you also should realize that number of google hits is pretty meaningless, google “u2 one hit wonder” and you get 6 million hits

This is a weird argument. It’s literally objective. He didn’t have any other songs that topped the charts. That is the definition of a hit, right? It’s not a subjective discussion.

That’s doesn’t mean he was bad in any way. I was complimenting him by saying despite having no other hits he made a huge impact and built a massive empire.

2 Likes

I think people are struggling with your “objective” definition of hit. Is it only #1 on the billboard top-100/200? If not what is the cutoff?

I just picked a semi-random successful but not top band that no one would argue is a one-hit wonder in the Foo Fighters, and Buffett had more top-40 singles than they did (and they don’t even have a single top-10 song).

I honestly don’t care enough to keep the discussion going. My overall point was to say he did an amazing job turning one really well known song into a massive empire. It was meant to be a compliment.

I wasn’t trying to diminish him.

Cheers

1 Like

This is up there with Clovis’ take on Elvis. Anyway, this is a live version of my favorite Buffett song

4 Likes

Margaritaville is a remarkably pathetic imaginary. The protagonist is basically the Dave Foley character in the “Girl Drink Drunk” sketch. Recommended.

He had only one top ten hit, but four other Top 40 songs.

The Grateful Dead are literally had only one Top 40 song and it would be as accurate to say they turned one song into an empire.

The GD had a broad cultural significance way in advance of anything Buffet had.

Apples and pears comparing counter-culture icons with a fairly minor pop star.

About 20 years ago my mom hung with a rad group of ladies that went to see Buffett in concert every year when he came to town. Buffett was like Jethro Tull in that every summer they’d be on tour and have a show in Pittsburgh.