Bump This Thread When Jimmy Carter Outlives Someone Nonterrible

I mean in terms of performance in the actual act of governing.

it’s very difficult to value statements like that, due to how carter’s extensive historical record and criticism, and recency of biden’s incomplete term.

Carter was like a non-corrupt Joe Manchin, overly concerned with deficits and balancing the budgets. He had his principles and he stuck to them religiously. Biden seems more willing to come off his conservative instincts and move in the direction of the rest of the party. Carter’s presidency was pretty harmful to the Democratic Party in weakening the party’s commitment to labor and making the white working class more vulnerable to Reagan dogwhistles appealing to their whiteness over their class.

If he’s better, which I think is a reasonable position, I still think the difference is small.

3 Likes

Oh no the Belz!

According to his Wikipedia he was pretty big into conspiracy theories, I did not know that.

He also sued Hulk Hogan apparently.

On March 27, 1985, days prior to the inaugural WrestleMania, Belzer requested on his cable TV talk show Hot Properties that Hulk Hogan demonstrate one of his signature wrestling moves. After being asked by Belzer several times, Hogan put Belzer in a front chin-lock, which caused Belzer to pass out.[31] When Hogan released him, Belzer hit his head on the floor, sustaining a laceration to the scalp that required a brief hospitalization.[32] Belzer sued Hogan for $5 million and settled out of court.

1 Like

It was pretty gross by Hogan imo. Here’s a short clip of Belzer talking about it along with the original video

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna side with Belzer on this one. Being put in a chokehold is a horrifying experience. You have to put a tremendous amount of trust in the person that they’ll actually let go and that you don’t die/become seriously injured as a result of it. Hogan abdicated that responsibility and Belzer passed out before being let go and dropped to the ground.

Hogan is a piece of shit. Fuck him.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

To this day, I still can’t figure out how he had Ralph Sampson for four years and never made the Final Four.

1 Like

They did though?

1 Like

I think I meant that they never got to the national title game. Getting old sucks.

1 Like

Sampson had one of the weirdest / saddest careers of all time. If he has been able to stay healthy and fulfilled the Twin Towers dream with Hakeem that would have been one of the great stories of the era.

2 Likes

Those big guys are 50/50 bets in the NBA.

1 Like

I kind of wonder how effective that would have been. I can’t think of a lot of “twin tower” teams that have been successful. So, I assume there is a reason why no one tries to construct teams this way. The closest that comes to mind is Duncan/Robinson. But I’m kind of fuzzy on how important Robinson was to the equation.

Did he lose to Chaminade?

C Mutumbo
PF Duncan
SF Nowitzki
SG Durant
PG Lebron

stfu

(Virginia was traveling back home from games in Japan and Sampson was sick, but they still shouldn’t have lost)

3 Likes

Good thing that is the only embarrassing loss in UVA basketball history.

4 Likes