Boredsocial for mod: First step, ban [redacted] [UNDRAFTED] and the girl reading this

My process was greg got tired of me PMing him to make banners for my watch parties and he said there’s no way to give you this power without making you a mod.

At least I think it was greg. It might have been zikzak, in which case I assume this is all my fault.

2 Likes

Even if I missed I hit at an acceptable rate. Also i agree with you on most things so no amount of vitriol will get me to start a thread on it for battle royale.

Mods don’t have to do anything. That’s mostly of what I’ve done up until I started doing too much. I’ll probably go back to mostly doing that with the occasional “please be nicer”.

3 Likes

I think for these reasons I’m going to abstain from voting.

1 Like

You’re probably right. I voted yes anyway because, like I said, any reg should get the chance to be mod. If people don’t like what he does, they can vote to undo his acts or recall him.

Never had a problem with BS but he probably ignores my posts like others. If he is not going to ban people for being one of the few he cares about listening to then I’m fine with it. If he’s going to ban people like nobody that he insta ignored then that’s weird. He doesn’t even listen to much of the community already it seems is my point.

ETA: The other threads where we aren’t talking about politics are more meaningful here to me than anything but Trump tweets right now which (politics posts) is all he seems to judge people by.

2 Likes

Voted no not because I don’t like him but because he seems to want lots of moderator action

1 Like

I agree with micro. If someone wants to be a mod they should get a chance to try it out. We’re not appointing anyone dictator for life.

I mean, I think we have pretty strong evidence that in a community of hundreds of people the random 19-4 poles that we make in random threads that like 5 percent of the forum probably even sees or notices is not a great way to do business.

1 Like

I voted no. BS gives the impression (to me anyway) that he has his own strong and personal view of what is good for this forum. Read his latest posts in the About Moderation thread for a peek into his mind. That is definitely not what we need for a new mod, especially not at this time.

4 Likes

Which also won’t happen, probably, becuase the system is silly. Literally can have opposite results based upon how slow hte news cycle is that week or what time of day you post the pole.

1 Like

Sure, it’s better than others. But they all suffer from the same core problem of voter penetration. I’m not attacking this way to mod him even, I”m attacking the “lets make random poles to determine the rules” methods that are being used in general.

2 Likes

I enjoy bored’s posts on an intellectual level but consider a few of the positions he advocates to be inhuman and evil. I will find kinder language if that is not appropriate. I’ve spoken with him about this publicly so anyone can search it.

And may find they disagree with me. I am a bit unusual in this regard. It’s been some time since we spoke on it, so perhaps it is I who should revisit the exchanges and see if my position has changed.

For this reason I am abstaining but remain open to persuasion.

I didn’t know about his desire to drone strike Assange. Please change my vote from “yes,” to “America, Fuck Yeah,” please.

1 Like

My no vote is along similar lines. We need a calming influence in the forum right now. @boredsocial made it clear he picked a side in the current feud and therefore I think he would have the opposite effect.

3 Likes

I think he will have a personal vendetta and kill list against the people he thinks were bullying CW.

1 Like

when i saw the thread title, i was coming to vote yes. then i saw he requested to be mod and i’m abstaining.

haven’t read the thread, but why are you asking to be mod? feels like the kinda thing where if you’re volunteering, that should preclude you.

1 Like

after quickly scanning the thread, yeah i’m abstaining for the same reason (goofyballer’s post basically).

anyone asking to be a mod is weird, imo.

2 Likes

Yes and no? In a vacuum I agree with you. But, Zikzak, Micro, Wookie, Goofy, GG, Risky, (who’d I miss?) carry the load, so other regs, should maybe help out. On the other hand, your point has merit.

This is a difficult take for a site where the mods are volunteers…

2 Likes