Biden thread III: Still Robinette after all these years

I think Biden will do fine. He can likely articulate his policies far better than Trump can articulate his, especially since he’s just making them up on the fly. If there’s no studio audience, that will likely help Biden.

1 Like

Trump having a dementia moment opposite stable Joe on a debate stage might break through to enough people.

2 Likes

I thought that the analytics showed that debates hardly matter? Much is made of them in narrative building, but my recollection is that hardly anything changes in the trend of support among candidate.

Also, there is the built in asymmetry where if both candidates are awful, then that favors Republicans, because may people are quick to adopt the attitude “if both sides are unappealing then I vote R because then at last I get tax cuts”.

Forget the audience the real story is the mic cut when not their time. With that the 2020 debates would have gone a lot better imo. You’ll see him making faces and impotently trying to talk during joe’s turn and during trump’s turn joe can take a little nap.

3 Likes

The media is the primary audience for debates.

Yeah I don’t get everyone saying it’s all downside for Biden. This is a chance for him to remind everyone in the country including Republicans what an idiot and asshole Trump is. If Biden was ahead 10 points in the polls I could see it maybe not being worth the risk.

He’s mostly behind in the polls and his opponent in a moron. And an off putting one at that. Why would you not want to debate the guy on national TV?

4 Likes

The debates don’t matter, especially in this case when they’re gonna be so far out from the election there will be another million news cycles and everyone will forget they even happened.

Oh no way will I be doing that. I will count on the brave soldiers of UP to liveblog it for me.

1 Like

Like, hey shit for brains, the commission let Trump debate WITH FUCKING COVID

2 Likes

Biden is already losing by 5-10 points in most of the battleground states. How bad of a decision could this possibly be?

I could easily make the argument that Trump was the one who blundered by starting down the path of poking Biden to debate him when he could have probably found a way to avoid the debates altogether.

2 Likes

IMG_3130

There’s no way for Trump to blunder a debate. Trump can literally shit his pants and it wouldn’t matter.

2 Likes

The problem is, if god forbid Joe mispronounces an ambassador’s name while Trump confuses Hillary Clinton with Stormy Daniels 3 times, all the press will be talking about is Biden’s gaffe

Correct. In the general, vote Trump to save actual people from harm.

I’m in agreement here, by any discernable metric presidential debates haven’t had a real effect on election outcomes since Nixon/JFK. This election shouldn’t be any different, anyone who currently plans to vote for tRUmp won’t be dissuaded by anything that occurs on the debate stage.

Should Joe debate Trump (no audience, mic cut when out of turn)?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

At some point, Trump will threaten to back out of debates.

Evergreen post

People just don’t like Joe Biden. They didn’t like him 4 years ago, he just wasn’t Trump. They like him less now. They probably like Trump less too but they overall question will be the magnitude of the popularity decline for both candidates. Trump also has a 38% baseline or whatever with his cult.

I know I’m a literal broken record for the last decade now but the Democratic party needs to be rebooted. It doesn’t mean it needs to be some radical leftist org (although I’m all for that) but people are rightfully completely disillusioned with the Clinton/Obama/Pelosi/Schumer/Biden version of the party. They don’t like it or trust it. So they flirt with literal moronic fascism.

If this doesn’t happen it’s just a matter of time until something really really bad happens here as we drift rudderless to the right with no end in sight.

1 Like