Best Song Ever Bracket!! (Walrus of Walri). All Welcome.

In just means you’re voting right? I know. I’m slow.

2 Likes

Yep :+1:

1 Like

I may have won one category in cyphre’s walrus

1 Like

Group 1

We’re starting like a bat out of hell, with Meatloaf’s ludicrous ‘masterpiece’ Like A Bat Out of Hell. Shame to drop the obvious winner so early, but random numbers don’t lie.

@CanadaMatt3004 won the @LouisCyphre ‘Delusions of Grandeur’ category with it.

Delusions of Grandeur. Songs that feature an orchestra, are symphonic in scale (not length), are bombastic or just have a big, elaborate production in the broadest sense.

Louis said:

When I saw this in the submission list I thought to myself “really?” and expected it to be severely hurt by familiarity. The reason this didn’t happen was because I was mostly familiar with the single edit version.

This is the purest distillation of the category in my opinion. What screams delusions of grandeur more than creating a ten minute song that has lots of moving parts. This could have easily crashed and burned.

The first two minutes already give you a full song’s worth of experiences and you ain’t seen nothing yet. Say what you will about Meat Loaf, that guy can sing. The chorus rocks. In the course of this ride we get opera levels of pathos. The tension nicely ebbs and flows for about 8 minutes before Meat Loaf once more goes pedal to the metal for the finale of the song.

That’s how you do a power ballad.

Next another bit of balladry but a much needed change of pace, Pa’lante by Hurray for the Riff Raff to be precise.

@Pauwl took down the @cassette ‘A Protest Song’ with it.

A protest song. Don’t submit NWA but anything else is fair game. It doesn’t have to be angry. Both violent and non-violent protests have great options.

cassette said:

First impression: Chills. A contender.

Later: Beautiful cinematography. A nice arc that begins with adversity and ends inspiring, so a great category fit. It does suffer a little bit as a song in a playlist. The band and director clearly have something else in mind. More of a short film, so that works well to sit down and watch but it’s less effective on repeat. Still. A great message, and nice tune, and a really good refrain in the final section. Completely new to me, so thanks! I really enjoyed this.

Thirdly Me First and the Gimme Gimmes doing their thing to John Denver’s Leaving on a Jet Plane. I guess some folk must actually like these guys.

Certainly @CanadaMatt3004 did when he gave @cassette first place for it in the ‘A Cover Song’ category.

Matt said:

This is perfect. Its an amazing cover of an amazing song that makes me want to groove from moment 1. I listened to it over and over and it never got old.

Takes all sorts!

2 Likes

Group 1 cont

Again back to ballading about with The National and Fake Empire.

@mysteryconman got rewarded by @anon29622970 for this in the ‘2000-09 Indie’ category.

Some of my favorite music of all time comes from this Era/Genre combo. You may submit a song for this category that isn’t from this era if you believe it fits the category well.

meb said:

Wow do I just completely love this song! Literally probably my favorite song from this era not by a band I originally posted for my examples. I don’t think it’s possible to listen to this song and not feel completely transported in time.

And, to complement Meatloaf, another ludicrous classic from one hit wonder’s Plastic Bertrand and Ca Plane Pour Moi.

I’ve always kinda liked this and @LouisCyphre agreed when he gave @Twist the victory in ‘Guilty Pleasure’

a song that you are a bit embarassed to admit you actually love/like

Louis said:

I remember this from back in the day. Apparently this is considered a punk song!? I never would have guessed. To me it has always been a fast and fun pop song with a cheery vibe. The staccato singing is what sets is apart from so many other pop songs. I have really been enjoying this the past couple of weeks.

Finally for Group 1, a satisfying bit of dubstep from Various Production with Hater.

@Jalfrezi thought it was the pinnacle of ‘A track featuring a female vocalist’, giving @zikzak the victory.

jalfrezi said:

wki tells me this is dubstep or grime. Fuck knows what it is and I can barely believe I’m writing this, but I like it a lot.

The lead vocals and especially the backing vocals make the most of the classic winning combination of soulful/romantic voice over experimental electronica that’s worked ever since the Velvets and Roxy. A great choice.

2 Likes

See above for the songs.

Top two go through, vote for the two songs you want to progress. Haters, you can vote for just 1 song if you like. Open till Saturday evening.

Group 1
  • Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
  • Hurray for the Riff Raff - Pa’lante
  • Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Leaving on a Jet Plane
  • The National - Fake Empire
  • Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi
  • Various Production - Hater

0 voters

4 Likes

oh shit

1 Like

let’s go

1 Like

Fake Empire also got third in the first ever walrus on here I think. The one I ran.

2 Likes

Sadly it’s typical for disinformation campaigns to attack democracy these days. It came 5th!

5 Likes

Leavin’ On A Jet Plane isn’t even the best Gimmes song, god damn.

2 Likes

I’m going to listen to Bat Out Of Hell soon but give me a sec, I have to drink 17 beers first.

4 Likes

What sweet summer children we all were. One does not simply journey to Melbourne in April 2020.

1 Like

My vote should be pretty obvious on this one. Fake Empire definitely best song of Group 1!

2 Likes

I’ve decided I’ll be putting Bat Out Of Hell through to the next round regardless. Those with gimmick accounts I can borrow to manipulate the vote please PM me the details.

2 Likes

None of these are bad. Good work so far, everyone!

What do you mean “regardless”?

I fully expect Bat Out of Hell to win this whole thing.

My plan, though don’t tell anyone, is to dilute the votes of you so called ‘real’ people with the likes of @SweetSummerChild acting as my proxies.

Though, like I said, don’t let on.

I still have no idea what we’re doing, but i’m still in!

Also lol @ gimmes winning a category. I missed so much great walrusing in the yore days of late 2019 early 2020.

3 Likes

How dare you, philistines. The Gimmes are a national treasure.

1 Like